Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Question on Illinois rules >

Question on Illinois rules

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Question on Illinois rules

Old 11-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default Question on Illinois rules

I just went to a hunter safety course this past weekend with my little brother- In the Illinois rules book it says that coyote hunting ends a half hour after sunset. But thena couplepages later it talks about shining wildlife. It states that you cant shine wild life with your vehicle lights except when it comes to fox and coyote you can use flashlights and stuff like that...now youcant use light in the daytime (duh) but the rules say 1/2 hour after sunset....so I asked two safety instructors about it and they said that you can hunt at night for coyotes.... anybody know the real rule? I dont want to go out there and end up witha fine or in jail if it is illegal..

Also what is the deal with using a rifle? They use them for coyotes and stuff like that (predators) but you cant use them for deer right?
Old 11-05-2006, 08:50 AM

Default RE: Question on Illinois rules

Tazman,
Look at the dates with the closing hours 1/2 hour after sunset. The coyote season closes like that during firearm deer season. ( seems people were "coyote hunting" before legal shooting time for deer).
Most of the timewhen there is a specific rule it is because someone thought they could gain advantage through a loop hole.

You are correct with the shotgun/muzzle loader restriction on deer during the firearm season.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like JOHNE answered that quite well.

But Taz I would like to give you a well earned "THATTA BOY!" for going to the safety course with your little brother. Youset a very good example. I bet you can't wait to get afield with him and continue his education.

I wish I saw more guys like you in my classes. Where did you take your course and who was the Master Instructor?
Old 11-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot- I took my class down in Mt. Pulaski, its by Bloomington. I think my instructors name was John--not for sure though, he was an older guy who shoots competitively...

I was going to take my brother deer hunting today but he wanted to shoot guns instead, so we went and bought 550 rounds of .22 bullets and he shot at least 450 of them...he didnt want to go home. I got him to be able to hit an aspirin bottle from 20 yards...not bad for 11 years old. He kept asking what guns will kill a deer that we have so I showed him the power of a 6mm, by shooting an empty quart of oil- and let him shoot my .20 gauge- He liked that alot, I filled a milk jug up with water and it exploded, so he thought that was cool. So by shooting the 6mmand letting him shoot a little higher powered guns (.20 ga)he now realizes what damage a gun can do to something, so that should make him think a little more when he shoots...
Old 11-05-2006, 06:42 PM
Spike

Coyote is open year round during the day and is open 24 hrs during fox and racoon (Furbearur) season. Nov. 10 - Feb. 15 2007. Its in the dates and limits page of the Illinois regulations.