Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Man, I went out yesterday and got knocked around by the wind. I figured it was around 30 mph and we had the gusts once in a while. 40 mph, huh? man...no wonder my eyes are swollen. Next time I'm, taking safety glasses. We did see deer though.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Went out this morning and only saw some squirrels strange because i was in a spot i always see some
Old 10-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went out this morning and seen 3 does. They came in from behind me out of the corn, i could have nailed one of em at 20 yards but i let em walk. They ended up getting downwind of me and then went on their way becuase im pretty sure they got wind of me. Dang corn is still up. Talked to the landowner this morning and is planning on getting the rest of his beans out today and said he might start on the corn. He told me if this current weather pattern of rain every 2-3 days and then cool weather keeps up it may be thanksgiving before some people get there corn out.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Our farmer doesn't usually take it out until about that time anyway... every year.

As for this morning, got skunked! Didn't see a darn thing! We kicked one up on the way to the stand, headed straight for my other stand, that's all we heard all morning as well. Hit the rattlebag a few times, no luck. Guess it just wasn't the morning for deer.

Forecasted rain tomorrow, but Wed. Thurs. And Friday are looking good with low temps in the mid to upper 20's! Also the predicted rut is starting this week, you never can tell, I'm hopin' anyway...
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my book, Nov 4th-8th are some of the best days of the year to hunt. I think it's a full moon at that time so the Bucks should be out doing there thing. Im going to probably hunt my other property at that time, especially if some of this corn doesnt go. Im used to it being gone by mid october and there is easily 200 acres standing out there. There are much better deer out at the other place anyway and nobody else bowhunts it. I have left it alone all year. There were still beans up out there last i looked. Im waiting for him to get them ouf of there so i dont have to carry my stand around the field. It's a homemade ladder and as soon as the beans go i can just drive right down through the field right to the tree im going to put it in.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 AM

I know the 4th through the 8th is the "go time" according to the pros, I'm hoping it kicks in early though, as I will be in Michigan for my baby shower... what the heck was I thinking letting them schedule that on the BEST weekend of hunting season? Oh dear, what have I done!

Oh well, too late now. I could pull a no show... sorry folks, I'll be late, I'm hunting! LOL That would go over GREAT!!!

On the flip side, my husband will be HUNTING Michigan while I am at the shower, Saginaw area. Maybe he will fill a tag up there seeing as how he already took his one buck for the year in Indiana.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a neat study in a magazine a couple months ago, stated more bucks are registered as being killed November 9th throughout the midwest than any other day.

I got most of next week off...better be nice out.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Spike

Hello everyone I'm new to all this but I glad there is a place to talk to other Indiana hunters!!! I hunt in jennings county and have seen several deer so far and shot at a doe yesterday and a spike a week ago. But this is my first year bowhunting and forgot my release when I shot at the buck and a limb cost me the doe but thats the way it goes I quess.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:17 AM

Yep, that's completely normal! I missed the buck of a lifetime last Thursday, I attribute it to not having an exact yardage to go off of. I was estimating it and I obviously estimated low because I shot directly under him. **sigh** Oh well, and the life of a bowhunter goes on.

As for other deer and branches... my first button buck/bow kill was last year, I had a wide open shot at 15 yards to his vitals, but somehow the arrow ended up at a funky angle with only 3-4" of penetration in his BEHIND area (back upper leg/hindquarters). There is no possible way I could have made that shot from where I was, so I have to assume I hit a branch and ricocheted. I got lucky, hit his artery, he only went 40 yards, but I haven't lived it down yet.... I always get the "you shot him in the @ss" remarks from my husband and our buddies. I just have to laugh about it. LOL Because of that, I won't take a shot unless it is wide open. I hada 20 yard shot at that monster last Thursday, but it was just too close to a tree for me to take the chance. If I woulda been off an inch or two I woulda slammed my arrow right into the side of the tree... missing the buck AND ruining an arrow.

I also had a smaller buck behind my stand three weeks ago at 5 yards or so, I didn't take that shot either because the leaves were still on and I could SEE his vital area.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahhh...the goos ol' days of harvesting trees....

A couple of years ago, I had a monster come waltzing in, just taking his time, not a care in the world. I'm all shakey and on the verge of hyperventiliating. The guy gets 25 yards out. I grunt to stop him and let the arrow fly. *smack* "Damn!" his vitals were a couple of inches out from this tree. I thoughtI could make the shot. Nope. Off he went. *boo hoo hoo* The broadhead is still in the tree. The rest of the year was pretty bad. If there was such a thing as sapling sauce, I probably would have owned stock, because I harvested quite a few.

On another note, I AM shooting the next deer that comes in! Buddy Bill lost another one sunday night! That make 2 he's lost and he also missed 2 deer! My turn! I do feel sorry for the guy. Both arrows had good blood. I think he lost this one because he took his son to help him...and his son was irritating the crap out of him the whole time, so I don't think he really focused on finding it and just decided to leave after a few hours. I told him he should have gotten me. Oh well.

My bowtech said he saw a couple of young bucks pushing around some does, but he hasn't seen any big boys doing it, although he has seen some BIG bucks. I know this is why he's not so gung ho abouttaking me with him anymore. He's afraid I'll shoot one. Geez. I told him I wouldn't. I'm out there for meat not antlers. You can't eat antlers. I've got a bonus tag I need to fill.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.