Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Second season option in IL? >

Second season option in IL?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Second season option in IL?

Old 06-23-2006, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Second season option in IL?

Hey guys,
Well I got my permit, along with my friends hunting group. I compared our permits and I noticed my 2nd season option says no, theres says yes. Can someone tell me what that means? I thought it meant that I didn't put an option for a 2nd place to hunt if I was denied my first place. The IL DNR website is confusing when it discribes 2nd season option....

Here's mine:

APPLICATION TYPE: FIREARM EITHER-SEX

COUNTY/HUNT AREA ISSUED: CRAB2

SEASON ISSUED: 2ND SEASON

DEER TYPE: EITHER-SEX

PERMIT STATUS: ISSUED PERMIT NUMBER: 00xxxx

DATE RECEIVED: 03/30/2006

DATE PRINTED: 06/16/2006 MAILED APPROX. 3 WEEKS AFTER THIS DATE

LOTTERY/DRAWING: 1ST LOTTERY

1ST COUNTY/HUNT AREA CHOICE: CRAB2

2ND COUNTY/HUNT AREA CHOICE:

2ND SEASON OPTION: NO

REPLACEMENT PERMIT: NO

Here's theres:

APPLICATION TYPE: FIREARM EITHER-SEX

COUNTY/HUNT AREA ISSUED: CRAB2

SEASON ISSUED: 2ND SEASON

DEER TYPE: EITHER-SEX

PERMIT STATUS: ISSUED PERMIT NUMBER: 00xxxx

DATE RECEIVED: 04/20/2006

DATE PRINTED: 06/16/2006 MAILED APPROX. 3 WEEKS AFTER THIS DATE

LOTTERY/DRAWING: 1ST LOTTERY

1ST COUNTY/HUNT AREA CHOICE: CRAB2

2ND COUNTY/HUNT AREA CHOICE:

2ND SEASON OPTION: YES

REPLACEMENT PERMIT: NO

Old 06-23-2006, 04:15 PM

Default RE: Second season option in IL?

I thought it meant you did not want second season, but if you put in for second season tags, then I guess I don't know. Hmmm....
Old 06-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

you were both issued tags for the second season only ,according to what you posted. when you apply for the tags you specify if you want second season if you dont get picked for full season. i can only guess that you applied as a group
Old 06-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, I believe Bob is right. You have second season only, it would say "full season" if you had the first and second season. And you're lucky you got that considering you put "no" for that option. Most likely because the others in your party had "yes" for the second season option.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Ok that makes sense, Actually im not in there party, I was solo this year...I guess I got lucky
Old 06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to say to be careful at Crab Orchard. It has many, many hunters per square mile. I have flown over much of southern IL during a few deer firearm seasons and it is absolutely amazing how much orange is concentrated into that area. It is actually used as a visual flight marker for the Wiliamson County airport during shotgun season. (JJ) My family is from Marion and I spent much time in Crab Orchard as a kid and thru the years.

But seriously a guy in my friend's hunting party caught a slug in the thigh some years ago there. The guy who shot him faded and disappeared. The guy who got shot almost died from simple blood loss if it wasn't for another hunter who was an EMT who tied him off in the field after responding to the screaming.

My recommendation would be to get in shape and get out WELL AHEAD of first light and travel with a bright light (so you don't get shot at) DEEP into an area and let the regular hunters who start showing up push deer to you. There are GREAT deer in Crab Orchard! Study airiel & topo maps to find good spots and maybe find a bit thinner "travel corridor" to get ou in there the easiest.If I myself went deep I wouldn't shoot the first deer I start seeing because there are ALOT of deer in there -might want to wait for a real nice one? And if you're deep you are gonna need to be in good shape to get it out.

And there are plenty of other guys who get our super early so the earlier the better in my opinion.

Be safe in there! I'm telling you Crab Orchard would be the place to be on double-super-extra-hyper alert. Do not move without a light before sunrise or after sunset. Small, brightblinky LED lights are the ticket for safety.

And good luck!

And the "NO" to the SECOND SEASON OPTION means that you did not check the second season box on your application which would have given you a "preference" in the first lotteries drawing. Meaning if you didn't receive a full season permit you were willing to take a second season only permit.It has nothing to do with whether or not you choose a second county.

Where are you thinking or set to stay when there? You might be able to grab a motel room in Marion if you called right now.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice Matt. My friends have been going there for many years and finally for once, we all got our tags together. The bucks they pull out of there are simply MONSTERS, year after year. I am excited, and of course saftey is my biggest concern. They aleady have there hotel booked and we are all sharing rooms.