Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The Slug Option

Old 04-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default The Slug Option

Hey Cayugad, when you're woods walking with your Knight TK 2000shotgun you ought to have a few of these in your pocket in case you decide to tackel something big.

http://shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0151000
Old 04-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The Slug Option

I have wondered that myself and even asked Knight a few years back and they said to never load round balls in that gun due to the "jug choke" design. Basically the gun barrel is smooth and has a constant bore sizeup to the last 5 inches or so then gets a larger boresize then goes back to the constant bore size before exit. It's made for shot to expand then constricts it all before exit and provides for awesome pellet groups. I saw a website that claimed you could remove the choke tube and shoot 69 cal roundballs out of the gun. I was going to do it until Knight said no way. I guess a gunsmith could modify the barrel (cut off the Jug choke) and one could possibly shoot that size roundball but why it's a great shot-gun.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

If I ever really get concerned about larger critters, I carry a different kind of surprise with six reasons to leave me alone. I made that mistake one time trout fishing and duringbow season and it will not happen again. That trout fishing scared the devil out of me.. I was bent down in the tall grass on a nice trout stream and a bear walked right up on me about 15 feet away. I thought it was my fishing partner walking towards me so I never made noise. I stood up and so did the bear. I don't know who was more scared. The bear went one way, and I went the other. My fishing partner laughed his self sick when he seen me running and jumping that stream.

And the bow hunting experience had me just a little worried about what I was going to have to do. I was in a tree stand blind and a sow and cubs came in. I was staying quiet and hoping she would leave, but she was curious of all the smells. She started walking around, and so I stood up and yelled at her. She woofed, the cubs hit a tree, my tree of course. So I started yelling to scare the cubs down, and she started coming towards the tree. All I had was a bow, and figured I was going to have to stick her. Thank goodness the cubs fled the tree and the sow then barked and took off through the woods. That was all the hunting I needed that day. I climbed down and went home. After that I carry a revolver.

Normally when walking, just having a dog with you is all the deterrent you need unless it is wolves you run into. Then you have some serious problems. Bear normally flee from you, although I havea friend that had that back fire too. He had a large black Labrador and was walking in the woods. Theyjumped a good bear and the dog went after it. Well thebear decided he did not like being chased and turned on the dog. So the dog, realizing he was going to getwhooped, turned and ran back to my friend, right between his legs, with the bear in hot pursuit.My friend stood there yelling and screaming and waving his arms. The bear skidded to a stop not more then five feet from him, turned and took off. So what happened, the dog though he scared the bear and started chasing it again. So my buddy called it back this time.

That slug would be a one shot chance. I do not take chances anymore.. Also the Knight tech I talked to says no slugs.. Now my .62 caliber smoothbore will shoot a round ball or a 20 gauge slug..
Old 04-23-2008, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great story Cayugad. The only dangerous things inmy neck of the woods are rattlesnakes and cottonmouth moccasins, and they don't bother me much.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Snakes don't scare me, I leave them alone (normally) and they leave me alone. Now my Father will stop in his tracks, turn around and go the other way. My dog will kill them. He hates snakes. I just hope he never tangles with one like a Timber Rattlesnake or something.

No alligators down there?