Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 A New Englander's questions about the northern Midwest >

A New Englander's questions about the northern Midwest

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

A New Englander's questions about the northern Midwest

Old 05-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Default A New Englander's questions about the northern Midwest

I posted this question in off season as well, but I'll give here a shot too.

The Northeast is getting developed a little too fast for my tastes and getting incredibly expensive as well. This has me looking at the possibility of life elsewhere. I'm curious about the northern midwest, from the upper peninsula of MI, northern MN, and northeastern ND. I notice that the cost of living is quite a bit lower, but it also looks as though jobs might be rare and wages a little on the low side. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like a lot of these places are an outdoorsman's dream.

Any info on areas to check out would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A New Englander's questions about the northern Midwest

Im in MN, the Stillwater area close to the citys but still in the country. I love it, tones of deer, birds, small game, driving distance to bear and moose are on the up swing. I am thinking about moving into WI for the pigs. But I may just wait for them to come to me. It all depends on what you want to do for your job. It is $pendy in my area but across the river WI is slowly going up. Hope you like snow!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and we have the greatest morning show KQ 92!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:47 AM

It all depends what ya do, in the UP jobs are short but if you are in the right line of work you can find a job. The UP is a great place but it is not for everyone. We get lost of snow, cold, bugs, and this year rain. My town, Marquett is becoming a city over night, more resturants then bait shops anymore, what is this world coming to.

I here Alaska is Nice
Old 05-16-2006, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Guss

It all depends what ya do, in the UP jobs are short but if you are in the right line of work you can find a job. The UP is a great place but it is not for everyone. We get lost of snow, cold, bugs, and this year rain. My town, Marquett is becoming a city over night, more resturants then bait shops anymore, what is this world coming to.

I here Alaska is Nice
So it's getting a little built up, then? The cold doesn't bother me too much as I'm pretty big on ice fishing. I'm used to bugs since Vermont's blackfly season is no slouch.

Don't get me wrong, I like it here, but I see a lot of changes happening that I'm not too happy about. It's becomming a playground for people from NYC and other rich places. Development is the result and that's what I'm trying to get ahead of.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Banned

I live in IA but I have never enjoyed an area like Durango CO. If I would move anywhere that is whereI would go. Go to Durango for a couple of days and look at what it has to offer. Elk, deer, fishing, predators, and great brewerys. Damn I miss that place. I spent 3 weeks there last sept hunting for elk and riding my harley. No air con. in the summer and winters are mild.I have bear hunted several times in N MN andI think the winters up there would be a drag.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:57 AM

VT, for some reason every old rail, coal, andmanufacturing shops are being turned into condos, and I cant figure out why. That is in MQT, other places in the UP are still the same old same old, loggers and minners still making up most of the population. I dont know what is happening to Marquette but it sounds like I am going threw the same thing you are on alittle smaller scale.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Guss

VT, for some reason every old rail, coal, andmanufacturing shops are being turned into condos, and I cant figure out why. That is in MQT, other places in the UP are still the same old same old, loggers and minners still making up most of the population. I dont know what is happening to Marquette but it sounds like I am going threw the same thing you are on alittle smaller scale.
I'm going to try to take an exploratory drive later this summer if I can scrape together the money. The porcupine mountains area looks real nice so I may try a bit of camping there. I might try to make my way into MN as well.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 AM

The Porcies are vary nice, lots of cool things to see. Lots of bears. Make sure you go to Lake of the Clouds, well worth the hike in.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

northern MN is amazing! My wife and I have looked at moving upto the ely area,but finding jobs is definately the trick.

the problem is that most businesses up there are small family owned and operated, and the ones that do hire outside employees, are very often closed for the winter, things just slow down so much then, northeastern MN is a completely different place in the wintera lot of roads even close down for the season...so there isnt much for career oportunities up there. the cost of living is remarkably low though. great deals on houses up there.
Another big plus is that the area will never be overly developed because you are surrounded by millions upon millions of acres of national and state forests, state parks, and of course, the boundry waters canoe area... you also have acess to amazing fishing with all the lakes, in the surrounding area, including lake vermilion, one of the best in the state. and of course access to thenorth shore of superiorand the riversgoing into itand all the trout and salmon fishing that go along with that... of course the hunting is great as well... one of the coolest things for me though, is being camped in the middle of the wilderness, and getting a pack of wolves to howl back at you...