Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 any word on Indiana proposed season change? >

any word on Indiana proposed season change?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

any word on Indiana proposed season change?

Old 01-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any word on Indiana proposed season change?

I may hunt Indy this season. Might be a silly question, but what is OBR?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

I really don't know where I read that date change at?.... I have been looking for days trying to find it. O'well I might be wrong. Anyhow Indianahick I hear ya there. We will just wait and see what they allow now. I would be kinda scared to go in the woods knowing people where shooting Hi-powered rifles.
Old 01-28-2006, 11:02 AM

Until I started hunting this semi private area that I am now hunting I used to skip opening morning and afternoon and sometimes Sunday morning and not hunt until Sunday afternoon. While the area was not state land and totally open to hunting there were a lot of hunters on opening weekend. I remember one year I got up in my stand opening weekend and watched a bus drive down the road that I could see and it must have stopped every 100 feet or so and dropped someone off. The flashlights comeing across the picked bean field looked like an invasion. Like you see in the old war movies. That was the last time I hunted opening day for a long long time. Heck it even sounded like war a little after sun up. Personally I did not even see a deer that day. If they bring in high powers maybe they will assign them their own time. I still like last week of Dec and first of Jan for it.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Well I have more than enough private land to hunt in soutthern Indiana. BUt I hear you on the bus deal, I was in Marengo at my fiances step-grand paws land. I got there extra early had to walk about a mile back in the woods. Started as soon as I opened the gate to the drive, there was already another truck in the drive way. I thought no big deal, there is 1500 acres, plenty of room for 2 guys. Well I get back to where I am going to climb my tree, get up, get my gun up, still dark, and I see 4 fourwheeler headlights coming up this ridge the deer come up, I think great... Flash my light a couple of times two fourwheelers take of and two stay. Here comes a guy and starts firing off all these questions at me like he owned the land. What are you doing here, how did you find out about this place, who are you? I had to pause to answer all of these just for the sheer enjoyment of this guy making an ass out of himself. So I finally answer who I am and he turns pale white and says I am sorry, I will be setting up 75 yards behind you. I said no make it 200 and to the east if you want to hunt here today. Well the sun comes up and sure enough booooooommmmm.... sounded like it came from right under me. Here comes somebody walking in the woods then the quad starts, then they pass by with a doe on the front. I might spend some time out there next year in early bow season, but not during gun season.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

OBR = One Buck Rule

I hunt family land in Adams Co.and leased land in LaGrange/Steuben Co. For what an awesome part of the state the NE is, VERY few shots in my neck of the woods. More duck hunters on the lakes than there are deer hunters in the woods. Overall, I'm fine with that. I downed more than my share of deer this year...that's for sure. We saw more bucks this year than any two previous years combined!
Old 02-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

BTW, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Firearm season open a week or two later, due to the fact the weekend warriors do nothing but piss me off...especially during the rut.

Thank God bow season is so long in Indiana
Old 02-04-2006, 01:01 PM

I have been hunting with the seasons pretty much this way since 1970. Archery actually went from mid Oct. to Oct. 1, which is about the only major change in season length that I can actually remember. although I do believe that ML was shortened this year. But what I do find odd is there are so many people hollaring about how long Indiana firearms is and how great Ill is. But the funny part of that is the harvest rate is almost the same for both states. Maybe 2-300 deer different, including does. So what I believe is that most hunters actually only hunt on the weekends (Friday-Sunday). The difference is made by those of us that enjoy the woods during the week when we are the only ones there.
I have talked to those that have hunted the new fairbanks area and quite a few have said that it was like going to Wal-Mart on the day after Thanksgiving for the big sales. Crowded and there were hunters wandering everywhere. Scary. Glad I stayed home as one of my areas is across the road from some of that land.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM

Backdoor Effort to Restrict Hunting and Hunter Recruitment in Indiana Fails- (02/03)
Indiana

Join our e-mail alert list

[blockquote]
[/blockquote]

Indiana legislation that would have imposed restrictions on licensed firearm hunters and prevented youngsters from being involved in the sport has failed.

House Bill 1417, introduced by Rep. Carolene Mays, D-Indianapolis, would have required sportsmen to register for a $10 permit to carry their firearms in the field. Making the bill even more threatening to the state’s outdoor heritage was an unreasonable age requirement for registration. The firearm registration would have been available only to those hunters 18 years or older. The bill did not advance from the House of Representatives to the Senate before its deadline.

Sportsmen nationwide face legislation similar to HB 1417 that could indirectly keep sportsmen out of the field. These backdoor efforts include bills that have appeared in California to impose taxes on ammunition, New York legislation to restrict firearm sales, and dangerous bills in Maine and New Jersey that would have banned the use of .50 caliber firearms including muzzleloaders.