Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Ohio Gun Hunters, how was it? >

Ohio Gun Hunters, how was it?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Ohio Gun Hunters, how was it?

Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio Gun Hunters, how was it?

Hunted all week with four other buddies. We saw 11 bucks, all young baskets and forks. Biggest being an 8pt. We took three doe for meat. We hunted in Muskingum Co. Didn't see any shootable bucks from the stand. But, we did see them on the cam trackers taken in the dark of course.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ohio Gun Hunters, how was it?

Ilive and hunt inKnox county, Spent the firstcouple of days chasing lost/tresspassing pumpkins around the farm.Friday I shot a decent 8 point from my stand with my muzzleloader. I ended up seeing on the average of 10-15 does a day. I sawa couple very nicebucks and a handful or so of little baskets.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:04 PM

Hunted in Hocking County at the begining of the week only seen three doe. Hot as hell monday,rainy tuesday.First time in the last five years nobody from our group brought one back,mydad never even seen one. Didn't seem like there were many hunters down there this year.Yesterday took a doe in huron county,the other 2 ran around my stand and stopped & watched me for a couple of minutes before leaving.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted Vinton co.
I shot 2 doe's Mon.
I saw two doe's Mon .
Our group shot 3 deer as of Fri noon when I left . ( 3 guys ,5 days and 1 guy for 2 days)

I saw a total of 15 deer ( state land ) and the other saw way less .

But I had 12 - 20 on the Game cam. every night
I would hear them walk thru well before dawn.

Johnch
Old 12-05-2005, 01:14 PM

Well I only hunted a few days of the gun season. The only reason I really went out was to help one of my bowhunting buddies bag a deer. I only saw a total of 5 doe. Didnt see a single buck. My buddy asked one of his friends to go and he tagged one on sunday. We told him not to shoot at the yearlings running around but I guess his excitement got the better of him. After being playfully harrassed about shooting a yearling by us we let it go since it was his first deer.

Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 AM

Saw a few, but didn't bring any home here in Perry county. There wasn't as many people out here this year as in the past.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM

I HUNTED ATHENS COUNTY LIKE I DO EVERY YEAR. SIGHTINGS WHERE WAY DOWN THIS YEAR, EVEN THE NUMBER OF GUN SHOTS HEARD IN THE AREA WHERE WAY DOWN. I BLAME IT ALL ON THE AWFUL WEATHER. TWO BUDDIES AND MYSELF HUNTED MONDAY AND TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY MORNING. TOTAL DEER SIGHTED WAS 93 BETWEEN US, OBVIOUSLY SOME MAY HAVE BEEN THE SAME DEER, WE ONLY SAW 6 BUCKS, ONE NICE SHOOTER THAT CAME BY ME BUT I WAS ALREADY TAGGED OUT. CAME BACK DOWN FOR SATURDAY AND SUNDAY AND THE DEER MOVEMENT WAS ABOUT THE SAME AND I ONLY HEARD A HANDFUL OF SHOTS ALL WEEKEND. WE SAW 65 DEER BETWEEN US AND ONLY SIX BUCKS, ONE BOARDERLINE SHOOTER THAT MY BROTHER DECIDED TO PASS ON IN HOPES FOR A BIGGER BUCK TO COME BY. ALL IN ALL MY SEASON WAS GOOD I SHOT A NICE 10 WITH MY BOW AND FINISHED THE SEASON OFF WITH TWO DOES IN THE FREEZER DURING GUN. MAY BE SWITCHING TACTICS FOR NEXT YEAR, I HAVE A CONTACT IN KANSAS WITH ALOT OF PROPERTY SO WE MIGHT GO WEST IF WE CAN DRAW TAGS. GOOD LUCK GUYS.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted Monday in Muskingum Co. and Wednesday in Morgan County mainly to help a bowhunting buddy who still had a buck tag.(I filled mine with a 130" 8-point) Hunted close to public area on Monday and heard lots of shots but I only saw 3. Rest of group saw a few-one nice shooter, but got away. Wednesday only saw 2 but a stander said he saw 20 on one drive! Don't know if the same deer circled around again or if there really were 20. Does seem like they'll hole up together later in the week though. Weather was not the best this year. ODNR said theshotgun harvest was down partly due to weather, less hunters coming into the SE regionand because youth hunters took moredeer over last year.By the way, buddy got 130-class 10pt on Wed.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 AM

Hunted Monday in Licking County, saw 2 all day. One of which was a nice buck, which I never should have passed on. Kicking myself in the butt now!
Tuesday-Saturday hunted in Tuscarawas County with a group of guys/gals. Lost count of how many deer I saw. Our group got 10 total down, 3 of which were nice bucks and the rest were does. We all could have limited out with does, but most of the guys were hunting for bucks only. I did end up taking a very nice size doe.
Sunday, hunted back in Licking County and saw 4 all day, only one confirmed doe.
Pretty good year! Had a blast with friends and family, and that's what it's all about!
Old 12-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunted Delaware County and it was terrible. There wasnt anyone out there! I only saw one deer and my buddies only saw three each! We hunted hard for three days with nothing. I will be out with the bow this weekend and later with the muzzie