Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Northern IL - Where to go???? >

Northern IL - Where to go????

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Northern IL - Where to go????

Old 10-27-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Northern IL - Where to go????

I have been going to a firends ranch in S.D. for the last few years for muzllwe loader season. I have recently taken up archery in order to streatch out my season.

I live in Lake CO. IL. and I would like to Archery hunt witin a few hours drive to do day hunts or weekends. I have looked into public lands and the situation is not good. I have also considered knowcking on doors of farmers, but I am not sure how to approach them.

Your experience is appreciated.....
Old 10-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Northern IL - Where to go????

Well I hate to break the news to you this way, but you're living in one of the toughest parts of the country to find private land to hunt. Granted you may get lucky and pick up a spot through knocking on doors but your chances certainly aren't very good. Believe me - I've tried. It seems like these days most of the good land around Lake Co is being bought up by either developers or the Forest Preserves anyways. And everywhere that isn't has 3 guys legally hunting it and another 5 illegally hunting it.

As you noticed as well, public hunting close to home is virtually non existant. IMO your best option is really just to look for a place to hunt within a couple hours driving distance and hunt as much as you can. Whether it's North into WI to take advantage of some of the great public ground up there, or knocking on doors in NW or Central IL is up to you. Those truely are your best options.

Or you can do what many of us are doing and try to find a spot to lease. Paying money to secure a spot definitely hurts, but it seems to be the way things are going these days.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I know how you feel, it is really tough up here. You can try Chain o' Lakes state park, prolly your best bet its FCFS basis I believe. I have a few spots under 20 acres I can goto but, it took years of talking with people to find them
Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

there are some good public lands in lasalle county ,may not get the big buck but a good chance at a doe
Old 10-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check the IDNR site. There are some of the state parks that open for archery and there's a list of when & where.

Farmers don't like the deer eating up their crops ($$$). They also don't want to risk any liability. I would talk to a farmer when he's out taking his crops in. Offer to work as a farm hand to earn your hunting privelidges. Harvest time is busy and hard on a guy, he would probobly listen to your offer. If liability is the hang up, familiarize yourself with the Land Use & Recreation Act which limits any liability.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:04 PM

Someone mentioned knocking on doors in NW IL, well around here (stephenson) that might not get you too far unless you have money, or you happen to know them. Right now, I have 3 places I can hunt on, and I ask before I go to any of them, which other than being the right thing to do, helps build a rapport. So, good luck in your search.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:39 AM
Spike

I'm from Lasalle County and have been hunting the public lands since opening day. I can tell you that they have been a bust this year so far [:@]. I have seen one doe taken on the sign in sheets and lots of frustrated hunters remarks as well. Some of the DNR guys are saying the freshly harvested corn fields are keeping the deer fat and happy at night so there's no reason for them to move during daylight hours. We cruised the fields last night to see if they're correct. Sure enough, they are out gorging on the corn at 8pm. The spilled corn can't last forever!
Old 10-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

SIUC:
Some of the DNR guys are saying the freshly harvested corn fields are keeping the deer fat and happy at night so there's no reason for them to move during daylight hours
It doesn't tkae a DNR guys to tell you that. Now that these cards are on the table. How do you play your hand?

Look very carefully at the trails leading in and out of these harvested fields. Find the more well used ones and set up a bit back off the field, maybe where a few trails converge into one before meeting the field edge. If you can find some beds back off those trails, that will give you even better info for choosing and setting up an ambush point. The deer have to go into those fields at night and back in the morning, right?

Soon the rut will start changing the whole game plans and schedules.