Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Minnesota????

Old 10-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Default RE: Minnesota????

I hunt in extreme SE MN in Houston county and more specifically between Houston and LaCrescent. I take the area for granted, but am toldby many others around the state that I live in "Gods country." Mainly a bow hunter but do hunt the 3b season with shotgun. The rut is coming.....
Old 10-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Central MN here.

"Gods country" because of the rolling hills and cliffs. Big buck potential that is why the rest of the state is envious.

What bothers me up here in central area is that the whole state has potential but there are to many shoot anything attitudes that keep our state low on potential.

How did the other states pass us in the Boone and Crocket? What are they doing different than us the past 25 years?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Minnesota is one of a dwindling number of states where it’s still illegal to shoot a deer or elk in a pen. But an increasing number of hunters and livestock owners would like to change that. Last spring, two bills wended their way through the Legislature that would have legalized big-game shooting preserves in Minnesota. The bills were never passed. Critics argued convincingly that big game shooting preserves could turn nonhunters against hunting, that the enclosures would restrict wild animal movement, and that additional farm-raised deer and elk herds--there are currently 520 in Minnesota, raised for meat only--could increase the risk of disease to livestock.
Despite the bill’s failure to pass, its temporary progress underscored the fact that interest in trophy elk and especially deer is booming. In a growing number of states (32), wealthy hunters pay thousands of dollars for the privilege of killing a trophy elk or deer that has been raised and confined within the fences of a shooting preserve.

I sure hope we never pass this bill. I would like our state to remain wild. We did pick that word for a hockey logo.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckmine-I think your assesment is very true. When I lived in MN I found that the "brown is down" moniker to ring very true. a button buck was just as good as a 10pt. People there wanted big bucks but didn't have the comon sense or will power to not pull the trigger. Great state to hunt for all species of game, but it could be much better.

MNPurple, I think you have something confused. People say you hunt near "Gods Country" in fact if you are in LaCresent (I student taught at LaCresent/Hokah Elementary) and you look straight Eastyou can see Gods Country! Ha ha.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.nj-hunter.com/articles/viewshowcasearticle.cfm?showcasearticleid=623005F2-D2DA-4ACC-91F112772852E519

The above deer was taken about 15 miles away in the 50's. Would love to see this caliber deer again. But of course the herd size was much lower back then.

Curious....Were herd sizes in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missiouri?, really low in the early 80's and steadily grew. Do these states have the potential to have there herds increase to levels where big bucks will be on the decline?
Thoughts in my mind, just rambling...
Old 10-26-2005, 07:40 PM

Handles, nono no, you are confused. When I look straight EastI see Gods only mistake! When did you student teach at LaCrescent, that is where i graduated from in '97.

In my opinion, Minnesota'sBiggest problem is continuing to hold the gun season right in the middle of the rut!! I hunt the 3B season which starts the 19th I believe this year, a week or two after the rest of the state and I see almost no rutting activity. The rest of the state, and the 3A season byme is holdingthe gun season right when bucks are running stupid. We have all these young bucks running stupid and then throw in the brown/down philosophy and of course we are loosing a majority of our bucks at 1.5 years old. They never have a chance to get old. None of the other states around us have a gun season in the middle of the rut and have you noticed these states are holding steady or have passed us by in the Booner and P&Y rankings. Because they dont harvest their deer when they are their most vulnerable. Look at Iowa, we have just as good of deer habitat as them but they produce consistently bigger deer, because they hold their gun season after the rut.

I know its easier said than done to change seasons because of all the family traditions, I have that too, but if we want more, bigger deer.......let them breed and then hunt them.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I student taught there in '95. Schulte was my Advisor. Good guy.

I used to think that the rifle season in MN was a perfect time (during the rut). But as my views of just shooting any buck have changed to shooting a quality buck, I agree the timing isn't perfect compared to WI starting on the 20th. However the rut doens't kill 1.5 year old bucks, people do. My hunting group here has totally changed its way and we get a few 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 year old trophys every year. I convinced my hunting group in Bemidji to hold off on the young ones as well. It took me three years to do it, but now everyone is having more fun because they are seeing better bucks. Self control is tough for many people.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:01 PM
MRE

I've hunted deer in MN the last 8 yrs
Old 10-29-2005, 07:33 AM

Yea hey!

I have been hunting the beautiful wood in the Brainerd Lakes Area for the past 15 years or so and LOVE IT !! Lots of deer to pick from and have always had deer meat to eat.

I grew up hunting the corn fields in southern Minnesota and also got plenty of deer but sitting in a portable stand deep in the woods waiting for that 30 point buck to come along is alot more fun!

Enjoy the Experience!

Randy Man

Just North Pro Staff
Old 10-29-2005, 09:43 PM

i hunt in southeast minn arounfd chatfild area