Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Eradication Zone license refunds >

Eradication Zone license refunds

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Eradication Zone license refunds

Old 10-02-2002, 11:56 AM
nub

Default Eradication Zone license refunds

Looks like if you are an agent for a landowner in the eradication zone, you can get a refund for your gun license cost. You must only hunt in the E Zone and use the new landowner permits. Earn a Buck still applies and you must apply for a refund by Oct. 24th I believe. They make a statement regarding Archery tag holders being too late to apply since the season has already opened. I have a call into the DNR to find out if I can Bowhunt without a license useing the new landowner tags. Since the only area I hunt is in the eradication zone.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Free landowner permits for the gun deer season available for CWD Eradication Zone
DODGEVILLE, Wis. -- Landowners in the 389 square mile chronic wasting disease (CWD) Eradication Zone will be issued free permits to hunt deer this fall and winter, the Department of Natural Resources announced today.

These permits will enable landowners or their agents to kill deer without a license during the gun deer season in the Eradication Zone so long as they hunt on land owned by the permit holder.

The gun deer season will run from Oct. 24, 2002, through Jan. 31, 2003, in the CWD Eradication Zone, which encompasses western Dane-eastern Iowa Counties and a small portion of southern Sauk County.

The permit holder and his or her agents won’t need a deer hunting license to participate in the long gun deer season, but do need to meet the legal, age and hunter safety requirements for obtaining a deer hunting license in Wisconsin.

DNR staff hope to start issuing free permits around Oct. 1. Permits already issued to over 1100 landowners for use during the four one-week long summer hunts in the Eradication Zone expire Sept. 13.

New permits will be mailed to all current permit holders in time for the Oct. 24 opening day.

&quot;There is no need to contact Department staff if you already have a landowner permit. You will receive a permit package in the mail starting late September or early October,&quot; noted DNR wildlife biologist Al Crossley, Fitchburg.

DNR will also send a letter to those landowners in the Eradication Zone who never applied for a summer hunt permit or they can get a permit for use this fall from the CWD Operations Center located at the DNR Dodgeville Service Center, 1500 N. Johns St.

&quot;However, it is not necessary to stop in to receive a permit package. We can get the necessary information over the phone and mail the permits to you,&quot; pointed out Mr. Crossley.

The CWD Operation Center phone number is 608-935-1945.

The permits are only available to landowners in the CWD Eradication Zone, not the Intensive Harvest Zone. The Eradication Zone becomes part of the Intensive Harvest Zone with the opening of the archery season Sept. 14. This Intensive Harvest Zone is bounded by lettered and numbered highways while the Eradication Zone is defined by town sections.

&quot;Our goal in the Eradication Zone is to try and kill all the deer in that zone. That is not the goal outside of the Eradication Zone. Landowner permits is one of the extra measures we are taking in the Eradication Zone to get to that goal,&quot; explained Mr. Crossley.

&quot;If you have land in the Intensive Harvest Zone, but not in the Eradication Zone, that’s good news for you. Our goal is not to kill every deer on your property and by virtue of being outside the Eradication Zone, that means no CWD positive deer has been found within four miles of your land.&quot;

&quot;We, and I bet you, hope it stays that way,&quot; added the wildlife biologist.

Hunters harvesting deer under the authority of the free permits will be required to follow the Earn-a-Buck procedure that all hunters must follow in CWD zones.

Anyone who has already bought a deer hunting license and plans to hunt only in the Eradication Zone under the authority of a landowner permit, can request a refund for their license so long as the request is received prior to Oct. 23.

Bow hunters won’t be eligible for a license refund because state statute allows DNR to give refunds only if the request comes before the first day that the license is valid, which for the archery season is Sept. 14.

All refunds must be processed through DNR’s Central Office and hunters can expect their refunds to arrive in four to six weeks. Licenses may be turned in for refunds at any DNR Service Center or can be mailed to: DNR Bureau of Customer Service and Licensing, PO Box 7924, Madison, WI 53707-7924, ATTN: CWD Refunds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following counties are in the South Central Region: Columbia, Crawford, Dane, Dodge, Grant, Green, Iowa, Jefferson, Lafayette, Richland, Rock, Sauk.

The public affairs manager for the DNR South Central Region is: Greg Matthews: phone - (608) 275-3317.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Old 10-02-2002, 01:53 PM
nub

Default RE: Eradication Zone license refunds

I just got off the phone with Greg Mattews. All bowhunters in the eradication zone will still need a valid license even with the new landowner tags. Although I'll probably still purchase my gun license, i'll most likely pass on the Archery season. I've been in Ontario hunting the last 2 weeks and will be working in Iowa for at least the next 2, so my bow season would be real short if at all. The wife's gettin just a little pissy with me as it is for being gone so much. Since the sales of licenses go towards funding this whole CWD mess, I'll donate the 20 bucks.