Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
CWD found outside the Eradication Zone. >

CWD found outside the Eradication Zone.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

CWD found outside the Eradication Zone.

Old 01-10-2003, 06:08 PM
nub

Default CWD found outside the Eradication Zone.

Deer with CWD found in new area Associated Press

Last Updated: Jan. 10, 2003

Five deer have been found with chronic wasting disease outside the boundaries of an area Wisconsin wildlife experts had hoped were the limits of where the disease would be found, the state Department of Natural Resources said Friday.

The newest cases - bringing to 55 the number of deer with the fatal disease - show the disease is now in a new county - Richland County.

The five new diseased deer were killed in what the DNR calls a buffer area around a 411-square-mile area of Dane, Iowa and Sauk counties where the first 50 deer with the disease were found, including three discovered last February in an area just west of Mount Horeb.

"We have expected all along we would find some in the management zone," said DNR spokeswoman Laurel Steffes. "We are not surprised."

The management zone is an area that extends out 40 miles from where the DNR first detected deer with the disease.

The five new cases are "geographically close" to the so-called eradication zone, where the DNR wants all the deer killed to try and wipe out the disease from the herd, Steffes said.

So far, laboratory experts have examined tissue samples from 9,064 of the 38,241 deer heads submitted by hunters for testing.

The DNR has tested 2,199 samples from areas outside the management and eradication zones and all were negative for CWD.

The five infected deer in the management zone were detected among 4,554 deer tested so far from that area, the DNR said.

More complete coverage of this story will appear online later today and in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel in the morning.

Edited by - nub on 01/10/2003 19:10:19
Old 01-10-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CWD found outside the Eradication Zone.

Nub, that sucks. I don't see how CWD will be stopped, with just eradiacting certain areas. There will be a few here and there that move outside the area infecting other deer. I don't think this is something anybody can prevent. I know the game and parks is just trying to contain it, I just don't see how it's possible unless every single deer is killed in the state, and that will never happen. Looks like something to me that should just work out on it's own. I mean wouldn't the CWD still be there(soil) in the eraditcation zone even after all the deer are dead and if all the infected CWD deer are gone? I just hope if doesn't come to my herd here in Ks, but it sure is possible.
Visit My Updated Hunting Page

Edited by - kshunter on 01/10/2003 21:07:18