Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 question on stand placement >

question on stand placement

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

question on stand placement

Old 09-19-2005, 08:02 PM

Default question on stand placement

although i have already placed my stand this season i am starting to have second thoughts about it..i place it bacisal where i sat last year but about 50 ydrs to the south,i put it there cause there was alot of deer travel right there,,but there was corn in hte field last year,,this year it was not planted except for winter wheat,,the people who own the land put a pheasent buffer around the field,,do u think i will have good luck here or should i move some where else,,also there is a corn field to the northwest of my stand,,should i move to it when the pick it?? Please help,,it will be very appriciated

Old 09-19-2005, 08:05 PM

Default RE: question on stand placement

by the way,,,yellow in the field to the right is corn the tan around the center field is quail buffer red bot is where the stand is at currently,, the green in the croner of the one field is grasses with young trees planed in it,,,any help yall could provide would be very appricitated
Old 09-19-2005, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Plant the corn and they will come......

Move to the corn. Where is water? I would try to be on side of cornfield that water is on.

By the way, where is York?

Old 09-20-2005, 08:32 PM

it is west of Effingham almost on the state line,,in clark county
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Looking at your map, where the red dot is, if it were me I'd move to the corner where the yellow corn line and the green grass and trees are. That would be about 11 o"clock from your current position across that field. I tend to think the deer will use the grass and tree cover as they work the field towards the corn field... I could be wrong of course and you have to take into consideration the wind direction for the most part and the kind of stand you hunt from. Also the kind of shots you are willing to take...

Good luck this season.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 PM

we when finally went scouting yesturday and found out that there is clover growing in the field with the quail bufer in it and i was wondering if yall think that deer will come to that,,after they get all the corn down in the area,,,,,or if i am wasting my time at this location,,,
Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: PSEsilverhawk55

it is west of Effingham almost on the state line,,in clark county
oops got confused on dirrection,,,it is east of effingham on the indiana state line,,sorry of that
Old 09-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Depending on the timing of the corn harvest & your hunting, I find that deer still graze the harvested fields for a few weeks after harvest - scavenging.

Find trails in and out and hunt them with the wind in your face.

Basically the same with the clover fields, back off the edges and a bit back off their in & out trails.

In order to find the well used trails you're gonna have to scout some. Try to scout from a little distance (meaning not tramping on or too close to trails. Move in and do investigation more closely when you need to, and always wear rubber boots to keep your scent down. I would look for these more well worn trails - does are making them, but as the rut gets closer, the bucks will be there hoping to get lucky (they can't help themselves).

You should consider a few different stand sites placed so that if the wind changes, you have a "go to" plan in place. Make sure to cut your shooting lanes.

Wish you luck.