Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Question Regarding Stand Placement >

Question Regarding Stand Placement

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Question Regarding Stand Placement

Old 11-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Spike

Default Question Regarding Stand Placement

First I'd like to introduce myself and say thanks for all the valuable information I've been soaking up the last couple of weeks.

Next, I have a question, I'm hunting on 210 acres most of which is wheat pasture, although 40-50 acres is wooded. I've picked three spots for stand/ground blind placement and I was hoping to get some opinions on rather they look to be good areas to hunt from. The yellow dots are the 3 spots I've chose.

The far west dot is near the highway but there isa pond on the other side the deer go to for water and there is also an old farm house and a couple old barns right there.

The spot near the north is right against the fence line and about 150 yards from where I have noticed a lot of tracks coming from the woods

The spot near the south has a lot of tracks also and seemed to be a nice spot with the trees nearly surrounding the field there.

There is also a pond to the South of this property on the other side of a county road.

FYI I'm in Oklahoma and will be rifle hunting.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/vt700guy/Stands.jpg
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Default RE: Question Regarding Stand Placement

The spot to the northeast looks to be a great spot. Deer will use the shortest distance to get from one set of woods to the next. I definitely think that's your best bet. The southeast spot also looks good for the same reason. Plus, they will feel safe with woods on three sides of them. The spot to the west is questionable. It seems to just give you a larger area to cover, which is a plus, but there's no real defining feature that scream big bucks. I think that west stand location might be a little better if moved to that northwest corner, just on the edge of the woods. You've got a blindspot right now where you can't see up in to that corner. And it looks like it would be a place where deer would feel safer. I think you've got some good locations. Good luck to you....
Old 11-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would put two stands out one on the north point of the woods and the other on the south point side where you are surrounded by the trees. Good8460 was right the deer will be looking for cover and the shortest point without it. They will travel through the woods so make sure you can get a shot in them and most likely feed at the south stand.

Setting up two stands gives you a variaty and also a place to alternate and not over hunt.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Is it me, or is the one up to the northeast wide out in the open? Blind or tripod...?

I agree with the other guys, but I think I'd put the NE stand into the pinch point between those 2fingersat the north side. The one on the SE I'd put where you get a vantage point of the field but in the fork far enough where you'll get shots at anythin funneling either side of that split. Yourstand to the westisdown to where you have it or just a hair north where the firstbend in the treeline is that dives west. You know it better than us....scout it.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Spike

The one in the NE is in the very corner and is not planted so it's grown up with some pretty tall weeds that will conceal me in a ground blind.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it is grown up with tall weeds but a tripod or a stand that allows you to look over the grown. Deer love that kind of stuff it provides great cover and bedding area.