Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 SE Ohio Hunters, I need a bit of help >

SE Ohio Hunters, I need a bit of help

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

SE Ohio Hunters, I need a bit of help

Old 08-12-2005, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default SE Ohio Hunters, I need a bit of help

I'm from SW PA, and for the past 5 years, I've bought a nonresident WV license. Well, I've had enough of seeing nothing but does and scrub bucks, so I'm refocusing my efforts to SE Ohio.

I know you guys aren't exactly dying to be invaded by more NR hunters, but if you'd be so kind, I'd like a bit of help. I'm looking at hunting in or around Belmont County off Route 70. I guess I'm asking if any of you know of any land private/federal/state/coal or any other landthat I should check out.

What is the hunting pressure like on public land in archery season? What should I expect to see as far as deer go? For example, in SW PA, on an average day in late October, I usually see 5-10 deer, maybe a scrub buck. I'll see a "shooter" (about 70" or better) maybe once every 5 days of hunting. I'm expecting better in Ohio.

If any of you guys are looking for a bowhunting partner in that area, shoot me an email.

I'll probably be driving out Sunday mornings and leaving Sunday nights. I'd anticipate making the trek to OH about3-6 times throughoutbow season.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Quik
Old 08-12-2005, 12:06 PM

Default RE: SE Ohio Hunters, I need a bit of help

If you're seriously expecting to see 10 or more deer a day, you may want to forget Ohio and stay in PA. I don't think you can realistically expect that, especially on public land. As for places to hunt, go to the Ohio DNR website. It has all the information you need to identify state and federal lands in Ohio.
Old 08-14-2005, 06:12 AM

Default RE: SE Ohio Hunters, I need a bit of help

ohio has plenty of deer on public land the ohiodnr web site does a great job of listing the public sites and mead land is available also with minimall scouting its not hard to see a decent buck getting a shot is another story by the way i hunt public land and its not uncomon for me to see 6-10 deer in a day in the same area