Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

grass carp

Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Spike

Default grass carp

I hope you guys aren't throwing those grass carp away. Those fish, in my opinion, are better tasting than the bigheads. I fillet the meat off the rib bones and let' em fry.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Don't stop at the ribs. The rib meat is good, but the rest of the fish is actually better. If you are frying fish, use the flying carp wings method here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-fmA07gZ8

But my favorite is ceviche - grassies make the best ceviche of any fish in fresh water. They are good on the grill too.
Old 07-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Spike

I've tried bighead on the grill and its great. I was cutting the entire ribs out, but filleting the meat off the ribs takes less time and doesn't waste much. As for the rest of the fish, I fillet as much as I can without bones, because of my kids.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by slammn' Wh'amurs
I've tried bighead on the grill and its great. I was cutting the entire ribs out, but filleting the meat off the ribs takes less time and doesn't waste much. As for the rest of the fish, I fillet as much as I can without bones, because of my kids.

If you cut it up like in the video, the bones won't be much of an issue, unless the fish are very small. Give it a try, I think you will like it. But if you want the fish totally deboned, the sequel (should show up in the list of similar youtube videos) will give you instructions on complete deboning of the whole fish. I can completely debone a large fish in less than 6 minutes.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

I've found the easiest way to fillet grass carp is to have Duane (Carptracker) do it for you.

He's pretty handy with a knife. Even if it's filleting fish on the top of a cooler that is sitting on the tongue of the trailer, while getting gas at the station.....

I haven't decided if I like grassies better than bigheads. I'll need to do more testing. LOL.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Spike

If I keep the rib meat and trimmings off the length of the fish, that provides enough meat. Don't get me wrong,I know I'm probably "wasting" some of the fish, but there is no shortage of these Asian species. And these fish are public enemy #1 to the DNR. Plus I can fit more fish in my freezer. Ha Ha