Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River >

Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River

Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River

Well Uncle Dave and I headed down to the Ohio River for a couple nights’ shooting this past Saturday and Sunday evening. We went in search of Bigheads and maybe some buffs but came away with a lot more. We backed the boat off the trailer and first shine right off the ramp and there were several Silver carp near the top and they DIDN’T go airborne. 30 seconds into the night, first shot, first fish. We actually saw and shot more silvers than bigheads. After a while we decided to fire up the genny and hit the shoreline and it was then we hit the jackpot. We found and shot a bunch of big Grass Carp, with the smallest in the 18-20 lb range, most in the 25-30 lb range. The first night I broke a personal best with a 34 lb Grassie, but later Dave and I both shot at the same time a slightly larger one but it didn’t get weighed in the heat of the moment. No big deal as the next eveningwe got a 40 lb Grassie. Also got a new personal best Buff at 30 lbs and Silver Carp. We only shot a couple dozen fish each night as we were definitely looking for quality rather than quantity since they seemed to be presenting themselves. It's fun when you can shoot 6 different species of fish in the same evening. Weather conditions weren’t great with rain on and off the first evening and heavy fog and barge traffic the next evening but the great company and fishing made up for it. BTW, don’t tell the UBI but ole Uncle Dave was tearing them up with his new wheeled bow. Those recurve bows just might be seeing some less playing time in the future. Dave and I both feel this would be an excellent area for an Illinois Bowfishers event in 2009 with the ramp and nice lodging near by.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River

Very nice grassie!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go Rob!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm eatin' my heart out! Good for you guys!!! Nice grassie for sure.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sweet.

Congrats guys! What kind of compound is that?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

For a 40 lb. grassie, I'd make the trip!
Old 09-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Christine, I know it was an Alpine but not sure which model. He picked it up and another onefor his better half on Flea Bay for cheap. It shot verywell and he was getting excellent arrow flight.

About a possible Illinois Bowfishers event on the Ohio River in 2009, this place has two well set up cabins that can hold a maximum of 6 people each although 4 would be more comfortable IMO. If we canguarantee aFriday and Saturday nightstay,the costs are more thanvery reasonable. So we would have to limit it to the first 12 max.that would want to put down a deposit. There is additional camping available not far away. The ramp is right there which makes it very nice. Anyway, something to think about.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Spike

A illinois bowfishers shoot on the ohio river? count me in.
hey robo where did you guys put in at around galaconda?
some good shooting in that area and around metroplis
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like some great fishing for the the GrayBeards.
The weather has cooperated so littel this year, that it's nice to see a good outing. Very tempted to head over there next year.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Bulz, I don't thing you would be disappointed. There's so much good water in the area, the Ohio, the Tennessee, the Cumberland, Lake Mermet and so much more. On each evening we bagged six different species of fish and I have taken as many as nine species in the same evening down there and that's what I think is so neat.

Garzilla, PM me and I can give you more info

Quick Reply: Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.