HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 AM
robow7
Typical Buck

Default Bowfishing Season Still Open on the Ohio River

Well Uncle Dave and I headed down to the Ohio River for a couple nights’ shooting this past Saturday and Sunday evening. We went in search of Bigheads and maybe some buffs but came away with a lot more. We backed the boat off the trailer and first shine right off the ramp and there were several Silver carp near the top and they DIDN’T go airborne. 30 seconds into the night, first shot, first fish. We actually saw and shot more silvers than bigheads. After a while we decided to fire up the genny and hit the shoreline and it was then we hit the jackpot. We found and shot a bunch of big Grass Carp, with the smallest in the 18-20 lb range, most in the 25-30 lb range. The first night I broke a personal best with a 34 lb Grassie, but later Dave and I both shot at the same time a slightly larger one but it didn’t get weighed in the heat of the moment. No big deal as the next eveningwe got a 40 lb Grassie. Also got a new personal best Buff at 30 lbs and Silver Carp. We only shot a couple dozen fish each night as we were definitely looking for quality rather than quantity since they seemed to be presenting themselves. It's fun when you can shoot 6 different species of fish in the same evening. Weather conditions weren’t great with rain on and off the first evening and heavy fog and barge traffic the next evening but the great company and fishing made up for it. BTW, don’t tell the UBI but ole Uncle Dave was tearing them up with his new wheeled bow. Those recurve bows just might be seeing some less playing time in the future. Dave and I both feel this would be an excellent area for an Illinois Bowfishers event in 2009 with the ramp and nice lodging near by.