Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Finally found a good lake!

Old 07-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Finally found a good lake!

I have been shooting the local lakes here in Texas and , with the exception of a couple trips in the spring, I have been very dissapointed.Well, that all changed tonight! I decided to head out to Lake Ray Roberts in North Texas. The first thing that I noticed about the lake is that visibility during the day is almost 5 feet deep! The other 2 lakes I have been fishing have 6" max.

I decided to shoot across an opening to a cove and begin fishing on the south side where I was out of the wind. Once it was dark, I kicked on the lights and started seeing fish immediately. A lot of 2-3 pound commons. I continued back into the cove and came upon a lot of areas that had reeds growing about 30 feet from shore. It was to shallow to run between the reeds and the shore so I stayed outside of them. I shot a bunch of commons and while bringing one in a nice buff busted out of the reeds at 90 mph. Needles to say, I didn't shoot at commons for a while. I cruised the outside of the reeds hoping for some more Buffs. I only saw tons of commons. The wind was at my back, so I pulled up my trolling motor and had the wind push me through the reeds. 20 feet into the reeds, I stuck a 10 lbbuff. got him off and shot an 18lb! Now I was on the shore and had to push back out and try again.

I got the boat into deep enough water to use the trolling motor. I hit the trolling motor while in the reeds and, of course, it made a huge racket. Right then a 3 foot plus 40lb buff came screaming across the frontof my boat! I took a quick snap shot and missed. I ended up with 8 buffs all from 8 to 18 pounds. I stopped shooting commons when i figured out where the buffs were. Sawtwo gar pushing 4' long missed them though. All in all it was the best night of bowfishing I have had since moving here.

Just to give you guys how big the lakes are down here, I fished all night in a cove that was bigger than Lake Springfield! I got lost and never left the one cove! Ran into another boat, and he guided me out. This lake is 30,000 acres. One of the guys I work with wants to goto a lake that is 78,000 acres! He said at one point, you can't see the other side! I am not ready for that with my little boat!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally found a good lake!

Glad to hear it David.
One word (uh, acronym) for ya, GPS. I don't blame you for not going out on a 30,000 acre lake. But if you stay near the shore, you should be fine.