Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 Fish Disposal at Des Plaines River >

Fish Disposal at Des Plaines River

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Fish Disposal at Des Plaines River

Old 06-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fish Disposal at Des Plaines River

Went to the primitive boat launch by Big Basin last night and my nose was treated to a pile of about 40 dead carp and one gigantic longnose gar. Some folks wanted to enjoy the evening at that spot but were repulsed by the smell and the presence of so many decaying fish.

Be considerate when disposing of your fish!

Fishing would have been outstanding if I had a boat. They were all about 50 - 100 yds off shore. I could see fins rising out the water as far as I could see. I tried wading out but it got too mucky and I've had one scary experience trying to get out of the muck.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Fish Disposal at Des Plaines River

That's disgusting. Wasn't there the same problem there last year too?

Anybody that dumps fish next to a ramp needs to be flogged with a rotten carp.[:'(][:@]

If I saw somebody doing that, I'd make them pick 'em up. If they refused, I'd call the CPO. That kind of inconsideration really, really hurts the sport.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

There was fish laying there like that the last time i was out there too. I talked to some other bowfisherman and no one knows who is doing it. But whoever is needs to stop because there is nothing worse than loading and unloading your boat while smelling decaying carp.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I fished down there I met three different boats of guys bowfishing.It's definetly a well-known area for shooting fish. Whoever's doing it is going to ruin it for the rest of us. People catfish there all the time and I know the CPO's make their rounds by there too. Someone's gonna start calling and complaining if it keeps up.

I wonder if it would be worth it to call the DNR and ask them to posta sign there warning people about illegal dumping. Maybe that would help.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's disgusting! ...just plain inconsiderate laziness...[:@]

We've said this many, many times...Have a plan to properly dispose of your fish before you go. Dumping them in a public place is NOT a good plan.