Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Awesome night at Dawson

Old 06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Awesome night at Dawson

If you can get to Dawson at night anytime soon... go do it! The bowfishing is hot.

The carp are spawning up on the northern end so it's muddy and the carp are hard to seein that area. I recommend going to the clear water flats.There are fewer carp, butit's easier to get shots at them. Visibility was 4-5 feet in those areas.

We started out before dark. Glare from the setting sun made seeing into the water a bit tough. We got 4 carp before dark. After it got dark, we went out with the generators on and really got into them.

Most interesting moment... I shot a big common, the arrow entered through the gill plate and out the far side of it's head. A nice solid shot and as I was pulling in the fish, my knot broke. There goes the carp, swimming off with my Cajun Yellow Jacket arrow sticking out it's head. An hour later, we're cruising the same flat and I said, "What do you think the chances are that the carp I shot would lay up here somewhere where we could see it?" To which Kendall answered, "You mean like that?" He points in front of the boat. Sure enough there was the carp, arrow still in it's head, laying on the bottom in about 4 feet of water. Kendall shot it and got my arrow back.

So not only did we shoot 41 good sized carp, we didn't break or lose anything! Amazing!

First carp of the evening.

Kendall's first of the evening.

Plenty of good sized carp in that lake.

Uh oh, fish barrel is full.... Time to go home.

(we did have to shoot on more after this picture...the'Champion of the World' last fish. We both shot at, and hit the same one. Go us!)

How I got 400+ lbs of fish off the boat this morning.

Weighed this one this morning. (forgot to take the scale on the boat) She's only 33" long but check out how thick she is. 19lbs 15 oz.

Threw my bow in there for size comparison.

I also saw more catfish than I've ever seen while bowfishing. There'd be whole schools of them in spots. There's also a bass about every 10 feet.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Awesome night at Dawson

WOW!!!!Great Job!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very impressive. Yep those are some nice carp for sure. Never seen one that size at clinton. Congradualtions. guys & gal
Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Zoinks !
That's some good fishing there. I don't care who you are.

I like the 'get your arrow back' adventure. Cool.

Never been to Dawson. It's hard to imagine that kind of water clarity while bowfishing since all the water up here is so murky that you can't even see things that are floating.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

Wow - that looks like you had a lot of fun! Real good size carp, too! Can you go bowfishing without breaking something? Didn't know that was possible. Yesterday it was my truck. I don't know what's wrong with it, but it started shaking terrible while pulling the pontoon every time we got over 45 mph going up a hill. Wasn't the trailer, either. So today the truck is in the shop.

So I had to divert from the target creek (Fishhunter's Moreau was probably prime yesterday, because the Missouri is up and the Moreau has not been rained on real bad for a few days - probably would have been better, clearer water there, and more grass carp) and went to nearby, but muddy, Perche Creek. We still had fun, though
Old 06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Fork Horn

Wow very nice job. Those are some nice carp.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: carptracker

Wow - Can you go bowfishing without breaking something? Didn't know that was possible.
Actually, it's not.

Christine broke a barb and nearly lost an arrow.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

'Nearly' being the keyword.

Breaking a barb doesn't really count in the grand scheme of bowfishing. Some folks break whole trucks when they go out. Right Joseph, Chris F.?
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a heck of a good time guys...I am really getting close to getting into that kind of bow addition soon.
Old 06-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtechben

Looks like a heck of a good time guys...I am really getting close to getting into that kind of bow addition soon.

Jump on in!! You won't regret it.....too much.