Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Awesome Night In The Stand >

Awesome Night In The Stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Awesome Night In The Stand

Old 10-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Awesome Night In The Stand

This is why I love bowhunting so much. The wind hasn't quit blowing here in a few days now, so tonite I decided to go out anyway. The wind was blowing anywhere from 30 to 40mph gusts, and it is supposed to dip down into the 20s tonite. The deer were moving all over when I got to my stand, I was running late. I got my mock scrape all freshened up and got comfortable in the stand. It didn't take long to start seeing lots of deer activity. About 400 yards south of me is a corn field with a stockdam bordering it that has water running year round, between me and that corn field is CRP. There are 2 bucks I've been watching here, and this was my first night in my new stand. The first buck is in the 140s and the second one is in the mid to upper 150s. Both of 'em came out of the corn like clockwork, they were mingling around with the does, and right about 15 minutes before dark a 3rd buck came out of the corn and joined them. I couldn't tell for sure what he had going on with his rack, but it was very unusual. The whole time I was wishing I could get a closer look at him. All the sudden all 3 bucks started trotting across the CRP in my direction, when they got about 100 yards out i put down the binos and grabbed my bow, and got inshooting position. The weird racked buck was leading the pack and he ran past me at 10 yards and locked up the brakes, whaaam the James Valley Scents caught his nose. He spun and marched right to my mock scrape. When he made the abrupt stop the 2 big bucks also locked up their brakes, I had already pulled my bow back and after about a minute I had to slowly let it down. The 3 bucks were all within 25 yards of me, but I had no shot at the two bruisers. Eventually the smaller weird racked buck got tired of the scrape and they trotted back the way they came from.

The good news is, I got a real good look at the weird racked buck. He is almost straight up racked, has like 8-10" brow tines, and its like a 3x3 main frame with a 7-9" drop tine. I could have shot him easily but that 150 class buck has been giving me the slip for 2 years now. Also got to see the Piebald deer again tonite, she never got close enuf for a shot. I might be letting her walk if I do get a shot, I don't want to put any more pressure/scent, etc in this area than I have to.

Sorry for the long post, but this was an awesome night that I wanted to share with you guys, even tho I didn't get to launch an arrow. It'll happen soon enough, hopefully!
Old 10-05-2005, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Awesome Night In The Stand

Aewsome, sounds like a good night. nights like that keep ya coming back for more. butI think you ought to make a few shooting lanes before you get into the stand next time. or take care of whatever was blocking you from the shot. wish ya luck and hope you get your buck.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:51 PM

GOOD LUCK WILL WAIT FOR ANOTHER GREAT STORY!
Old 10-05-2005, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The problem is the trees aren't really big enuf for a treestand the way it is. My CRP is set up with a single row of trees every 220 yards, and there are 4 sets of these tree lines there. The 2 bigger bucks stopped pretty much right in the tree line west of me, my stand is facing southwest in the tree. I'm going to try to make a lil bigger shooting lane to my mock scrape, but I don't want to sacrifice what little cover I already have.

I'm going to hit the spot hard in the morning and tomorrow evening again, and I'm not giving up till I tag one of the two bigger deer! I am beating my previous big buck with bow this year, and if it works out and I get a shot at that mid 150s, that will be my largest whitetail to date as long as it scores over 152 3/8", which I am sure it will!
Old 10-05-2005, 10:02 PM
Typical Buck

yeah you dont want to lose your cover. I hope it works out for ya. Patience and persistance is the key. GOOD LUCK..
Old 10-05-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story, congrats. Get one of them big boys!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 11:18 PM

Good Story. Do you have a picture of your setup at all, or the animals? Either way sounds like alot of fun, good luck on the big guy.

CYberg
Old 10-06-2005, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

AwEsOme
Old 10-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

That sounds like it was a really exciting experience. I know that if I had deer of that caliber in my immediate hunting area then I would be alot more nervous than what you related. That 3rd buck sounds really interesting. Too bad you couldn't get a pic of him.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that is one heck of a night, you are truely blessed to have such a great night.

Quick Reply: Awesome Night In The Stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.