Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

Ohio River Bowfishing

Old 08-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio River Bowfishing

I need some help! (Save the comments for later Christine! I can see yer wheels turning!).

Anyway, my bro-in-law and sis-in-law live in Golconda, IL. The Ohio River is almost in their back yard. Can anyone give me any information on bowfishing this river and the area around there? We are going down for a visit next month and I would like to pull the boat down there with me.

Much Thanks,
Mikey
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ohio River Bowfishing

there is some good shooting down there.the fish are spotty and you may go for 1/4 mile and never see a fish. lots of stumps to hit along the edge. i mean lots. dont have to worry about any as long as you are 50 yds off the bank so the outboard is safe. i know there are some good bigheads there but i cant seem to get into em. It is tough but if you happen to find the magic spot for the night it can be awesome. water clarity is great right now.5-7 ft.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Mike,
earlier this spring, first week of May, two friends and I spent three days down there riding our bicycles along the Ohio river on what is called the scenic riverroute in southern IL. Just west of and leading into Golconda was a realgut busting hill, but I digress,anyway further west there is public ramp and a little lodgejust off the water. We spent the night on their deck eating chips and resting our legs and I watched in amazement as to the schools of Bigheads that went cruising by.As slim said, they will be where you find them but don't hesitate goingdown stream and hitting the water with a light and oar, ifa school of Biggies doesn't smash the water then keep moving.I'm still trying to figure out how I can get a take-down bow and arrow in one my panniers.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the info.!

Mikey
Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

give me a call if you need/want more info. 618-599-0016