Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

generator noise

Old 03-18-2007, 01:04 AM

Default generator noise

might be a dumb question, but do loud generators scare away the fish? it seems that a generator roaring on deck to power the work lights would spook nearby fish. am i thinking to hard into it like deer hunting, or is there something to this? i cant afford to get a 1000 dollar + generator that is quiet, and i was wondering if it would be a waste of money to get a used cheaper one that would be loud? thanks for any insight cuz im a rookie
Old 03-18-2007, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: generator noise

Vibration is the biggest thing. Even if your genny is loud, don't let it vibrate against the boat. Use a rubber mat or some other dampening device. I put yhe rubber feet on a rubber mat. My old genny is about 74db not super loud but not quiet either.
Good luck.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

I know the honda generators are very quiet by comparison but also the generators Snuffy and Johnny B. use are extremely quiet the other night we could talk the length of the boat and not holler with the generator running good luck on your desicion........
Old 03-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor, I guess that really didn't answer your question. To be more specific, No. I don't think generator "noise" spooks the fish unless it's transmitted through the boat as vibration.

However, (there's always a catch) If the body of water you are fishing is not used to the sound of gas motors (ie: no outboards). Then yes even the quietest generator will spook them. We had the opportunity to fishsome trolling motor only lakes at night. We took the generator and didn't see a fish in lakes that arelousy with them.

Worst thing about a loud generator is it's obnoxious to be around. You won't like it. And if there are people near the body of water you're fishing, they definately won't like it.

Good news is that as KBI says, a quiet genny is not that expensive anymore. You should be able to find one < $300 that is reasonably quiet.

Good luck.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

I found a generator at Big R the other day and Ican't remember the specifics since I was in a hurry, but it might have been 3500 watts rated at 64 decibels for just under $400. I'll stop back by as soon as I can and get all the details.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Menards sells a Wen 3500 that is pretty nice. It even has a built in Battery charger. The noise level is 67 dB at idle and 74dB at full throttle. The real beauty is it is only $278. or $312 with taxes. I just bought one and filled it with oil and gas and on the third pull it was purring on my garage floor. This week will see it purring in my boat at night. One other thing that was not answered in you question is you cannot use a generator for Big heads. They are defentily spooked by them. You have to use battery lights for them..go get'm