Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowfishing > Illinois Bowfishers Club
 1st post, little help please. >

1st post, little help please.

Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

1st post, little help please.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Spike

Default 1st post, little help please.

Hey guys/gals,

I been wanting to get into the bowfish thing for a while, as if I need another hobby.

I have a back up bow, and my wife got me a beginner bowfish package including, arrow, ams slide, fish point, line and the simple "drum" reel.

Can I be successful with this package? I shoot mechanical release for deer/turkey, should I convert for shooting fish? Any tips?

Also anywhere in central IL that someone would recommend to a beginner?

Thanks in advance,

CS
Old 06-09-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st post, little help please.

Most people who have taken a few shots at fish want a dedicated bow(s) for bowfishing. While you can use any bow for fishing, the setup and accessories are completely different. You won't want to keep changing your rest back and forth from deer to fish and back again more than about once, especially if you like good arrow flight and care to tune for your deer arrows past the point of 'good enough'.

Can you succeed with a drum reel. Surely. The type of reel you choose to use does not affect your ability to shoot fish, only how fast you can get back in the game after taking a shot. I recommend the hand wound drums and AMS retrievers for beginners since they are practically foolproof.

The spincast reels are very fast and give you more leverage to fight big fish, but require that you remember to push the bale release button before each shot or the reel hangs on to the line and your arrow can end up leaving without the line attached. It can be tough to get them back when that happens. The faster reels are always more convenient to use, but only really become a major factor in competition when you have lots of shots to take, and want to boat as many fish as you can in a short period.

Always bring a spare arrow or two no matter what kind of equipment you have. If you are just walking the shore, you can leave it in the car, but have one with you. Rocks and submerged logs will claim an arrow of yours eventually. It will probably be on the day you leave your spare at home and there is a 25 pound carp laying on the surface 15 feet away.

Most bowfishers use fingers for fishing even if they have a release for other hunting. NoGluvs are popular, and so are the synthetic leather Mechanix gloves which do not bleed color when they get wet the way leather can, anddon't get as crunchy as the real leather ones.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

A little more help. What all Buleyes says is right on. I have been using a zebco 888 reels. And have nothing but trouble with them. They work for a very short time then hang up when you push the button,and a lot of times the pin will just not retract, so when you shoot it drags the line out in stead of being free. The other day I used a buddys' 808 and it worked flawlessly all day. I have bought my last 888. and that's my final answer. johnny b.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Spike

Thanks for the help.

Just to clarify, I have a bow that will be used exclusively for bowfishing, so the equipment changing is a non issue.

I am part of a duck club that floods on the IL river at least every couple of years, and ends up with a couple acre levee area with carp trapped in it, but other than that I don't really know where to go.

Basically, I had a back up bow that didn't get used, and I was looking for a way to use it, and thought this would be fun.

Thanks again for the advice

CS
Old 06-09-2006, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Where about in Central IL are you? I'm just SW of Bloomington. I bowfish on Evergreen Lake near Hudson, Clinton Lake in Clinton and Dawson at Moraine View State Park. Of course, there's the IL River.

Shelbyville is a really good bowfishing lake.

You're bowfishing package is a good starting point.(kudos to your wife for buying it for you. ) I would definitely get another arrow if I were you.

If you have any questions about any specific lakes, just ask. Somebody around here probably knows about it.

Welcome to HuntingNet.Com!

Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Let me start by saying hello and welcome to the site. Most folks i know shoot fingers and shoot instinctively when bowfishing it can get fast at times. There's a lot of good places to go shoot and if you ever tie into a bighead its over for ya.....you'll be hooked in a bad way......
Old 06-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Fork Horn

Most shots you'll take are within 20 feet. I shoot fingers and a dedicated recurve that is 30 years old. It still works great. I bring 3 arrows and a lot of fishpoints because Ibowfish ina spot where thebottom is rocky. If you catch the spawn just right, you're arms will get sore from shooting!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:01 PM

Welcome aboard!! Once you start shooting you'll be "hooked" (I know I am).
Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the replys. I will definitely pick up an extra arrow or two. I am 20 minutes West of springfield. I spend lots of time on the Il River around Meredosia, just have to start paying attention to the fish more. lol

I have a 16 ft extra wide jon boat and 25 hp motor for duck hunting, so I am not limited only to wading.

Thanks again,

CS
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Ive heard there is a lot of bigheads in Meridosia lake so im sure the river over there holds them too, if thats the case all ihave to say is your one lucky bowfisher....

Quick Reply: 1st post, little help please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.