Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

Becoming aGuide

Old 01-26-2007, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Becoming aGuide

Is there a trick to getting into the hunting industry. I am going change jobs and guiding is what I have decided to do. Is there anyone with some advise on how to get the ball rolling. It seems harder than I expected but persistance will pay off. Happy Hunting
Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Default RE: Becoming aGuide

What type of guiding are you looking for, whitetail, big game fishing?
I started from scratch, and now I am full time as the head whitetail manager for a respectable outfit and we are looking for guides for the 07 season. Being at the right place and right time and also been able to work with people and know how to hunt are all important to becoming a guide. There are also guide schools out west, two of my best guides went through them, and now can use that when looking for other jobs. Let me know if there is anything else.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the advise. Whitetail and turkey are my speciality. I pride myself on the ability to call and harvest gobblers.If I could find an outfitter to give me a chance it would br something worth moving for. I get along with people real well, I have to here at school. This is going to be a job that I will committ my life to. I have taken several people out in the field with better than average success. Most of the hunts I do is on public land and I have great success. I can't imagine what kind of hunting it would be like on a managed piece of property. I will do this before I die. I will do what ever needs to be done to become a guide.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Jeff
We do turkey and whitetail hunts in Missouri, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas. We are always looking for a few good guides. Feel free to contact me or go to our website and there is an application page there.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 PM

Turkey Harvester,

I personally hope that you will take some time and research each and every opportunity to learn about the outfitter that you might be working for. First and foremost it is my hope that most guides go off to Western Guide School. There are many great schools out there and you should research them all. Even if you are not planning on guiding in the west, the money you spend will be well worth the education and will expand your earning potential no matter where you guide.

That being said you should research your area that you are going to guide. You should read everything you can find about the animals that you are going to guide. The more educated about the animals you are hunting the more you will be successful. Go out and pick up everything ever written by Jack O'Conner and read everything you can by him and every other great writer you can in the hunting world. Read everything you can get your hands on by Theodore Roosevelt and learn everything you can about conservation and get memberships to the organizations that support the animals you are going to be guiding hunters. Read about the plants and food sources for the animals in the area that you are hunting and know when they are eating those plants, etc...

And go out there and have fun and treat people the way that you want to be treated and be yourself and you will have immense success. Guiding is hard work and it covers everything from guiding, friendship, therapy, taxidermy, butchering and business skills. It is also one of the most rewarding jobs in the world.

GOOD LUCK

Old 02-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Everything you said is right on the head. I have been reading, watching movies,and looking into everything that I think a person needs to know. I'm sure i don't know it all,but that is where experience in the field doing it on an everyday basis would help. I appreciate you advise and will look into it more. I realize that this industry isn't easy to get into. And I also realize that alot of people want to do this also. But I am going to take it a step farther. I am going to committ everything I know and everything that i can learn to this industry. I realize that it may take a while, but I'm willing to wait if I feel the right job is waiting for me. I don't know it all but I am willing to do and learn anything and everything to make this career choice a success.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:27 AM

I have guided for years here in Pike County. It is a fun job that requires alot of work & some long hours. Some very early mornings & late evenings. I have been cutting way back on it,help a couple guys out when they really need it. It cuts into your own hunting so much. For several years I had hardly any time to do my own hunting. I want to hunt more for myself so that is why I am cutting way back on the guiding.
I really agree with huntinglife. You say you want to get into guiding. But don't jump at a guide job with a outfitter just because they contact you saying they need guides & will get you started. Research the outfitter,make sure they are reputable,etc. You want to start out on the right foot. Would hate to see you get started with a outfitter that is not real reputable & things not go good for you. If you decide to guide with one that has a operation in Pike County, PM me & I will give you any info I know about them. 90% of them are good ones but you don't want to get hooked up with that bad 10%.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:44 PM

ok , so just outta curiosty, how much can an outfitter make per year?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:46 AM

There are several things that can determine how much an outfitter can make. How big of an outfit are they,how much ground do they have,do they own or lease it,how many hunters they bring in,how much do they charge for a hunt,how many guides do they have,expenses etc. Outfitters can make anywhere from a few thousand dollars a year for a small operation to a big operation that hunts several hundred hunters a year can make a few hundred thousand dollars. If you are talking about what guides make. That depends on the outfitter. Small guys can't pay as much as a big operation. I have helped some out that the only thing I got was whatever tip the hunters gave me. I have worked for some that paid $125 a day plus $20 a day for gas expense plus whatever tip the hunters give you. Guiding, in this area anyway, is not a get rich occupation. Most of the people I know,including myself, have regular jobs. Guidng is a side job. Some guys work construction so they are off during hunting season & some guys take their vacation to do this. Some guys that work for the big outfitters work year round for them,some of them also farm their ground along with the outfitting operation.It has to be something you enjoy doing.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:33 AM

As most of you know, we are a private ranch. Independently owned/operated etc, now in its fourth generation. So, I suppose our overhead is less than some ranches/outfitters.

As far as guides go? All of our guides have their "main" job so to speak. Two of them workfor us in ourranch/rangeland improvement company. We have had five guys here with us for a long time. Others come and go like a revolving door. It is not an easy job to do.

We pay our guides $50 per day. That inlcludes their room in our lodge, their meals, and of course they use our vehicles etc.

In addition they get 10% of whatever "their" hunter harvests. So that is their motivation to do everything in their power to help the hunter.

And they also work for tips.

I have had guys make only $50 in a day and I have had guys make $300 in a day.

best of luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.