HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Becoming aGuide
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 05:46 AM
brownie65

Default RE: Becoming aGuide

There are several things that can determine how much an outfitter can make. How big of an outfit are they,how much ground do they have,do they own or lease it,how many hunters they bring in,how much do they charge for a hunt,how many guides do they have,expenses etc. Outfitters can make anywhere from a few thousand dollars a year for a small operation to a big operation that hunts several hundred hunters a year can make a few hundred thousand dollars. If you are talking about what guides make. That depends on the outfitter. Small guys can't pay as much as a big operation. I have helped some out that the only thing I got was whatever tip the hunters gave me. I have worked for some that paid $125 a day plus $20 a day for gas expense plus whatever tip the hunters give you. Guiding, in this area anyway, is not a get rich occupation. Most of the people I know,including myself, have regular jobs. Guidng is a side job. Some guys work construction so they are off during hunting season & some guys take their vacation to do this. Some guys that work for the big outfitters work year round for them,some of them also farm their ground along with the outfitting operation.It has to be something you enjoy doing.