Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 A bad reputation is hard to overcome! >

A bad reputation is hard to overcome!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

A bad reputation is hard to overcome!

Old 04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default A bad reputation is hard to overcome!

With all the ATV debate thats been going on lately, it's easy to see that not many people will be persuaded away from their bike of choice! It is that way with scopes, guns, and most any other things that we personally value. Personal preference, and opinion, are like A-holes, we've all got one!
That's great too! As long as you are not spending my money, and I'm not spending yours, who really cares what you spend your money on!
That being said, I'll get to the point. REPUTATION! Your personal experience, and what you see happening to friends around you, is what is going to set your mind one way or another!
Though I loathe Polaris, and love Honda, my point is not really to bash the one, and promote the other! Other than my personal experiences, the one common thing I have seen in these debates are that most Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda owners are favorable towards each others bikes! The one common, hated bike has got to be, what else!? The Polaris! Yet to give the Polaris it's due, it is one of the best selling bikes on the planet.
This is where starting out with a bad reputation can hurt you very far down the road. From what I've seen in the past, many 20+ yr. old Hondas still going strong, and many mid aged Polaris' that spent more time in the shop than in the woods, NEW Polaris may be the greatest thing since sliced bread! I will NEVER know that, because of their PAST REPUTATION, I'll never spend a penny on one!
I MIGHT be persuaded by price, to buy other than Honda, but from what I've personally seen and experienced, it just won't ever be Polaris!
REPUTATION, it proceeds you, it follows you!
Old 04-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A bad reputation is hard to overcome!

I concur Jag.

I own a polaris and I have spent more wrench time on it with less used hours than other quads I have experienced. It hasn't required major work to the engine but in the 94 model I own due to poor design I have replaced 2 starter due to placement and taking on water. Also the belt housing is poorly designed and has caused me to replace the belt with less miles logged than stated. It does not have a great low range so while it will grunt out some heavy payloads it often means a cooling period especially in warm weather. I have twice had to repair the electronic to the front hubs, again poor design on this model and it seems to get snagged by sticks.. The brakes have been redone due to having to rely on them vs engine braking more than similar vintage quads (now this is an older model). Number of grease fittings is aweful. The plastic/expensive counter balance oil dipstick is a joke both in quality and placement. Lower resale for the investment in my area.

On the positive side great ride for the vintage, easy to drive for less experienced and good balance. It will go anywhere that other bikes will go as it's 4x4 drive system is decent but a little slow to lock up and clearance is good as well. Pulling wheeled trailer it seems to have no problems putting the tires in motions.

My wrench time, lack of support and these silly annoying design flaws that cause me extra costs/grief in maintaining the bike for heavy use, finds the polaris parked full time at the cabin as strictly a low impact ATV(AKA the wifes berry picking vehicle). Quite simple any moderate work or hunting use I look to a more suitable brand. So while the newer ones I have heard are much improved I will not consider buying again, based on personal experience.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:13 PM

Just something to think about since you said Polaris is the number one selling ATV in the country.

I used to work Customer Service at Circuit City and would notice that we always had Aiwa stereos in for service. Always! They would outnumber ever other manufacturer 3:1. I made the comment one day, "Damn, I'd never buy an Aiwa, they're in here all the time." A co-worker then showed me the sales numbers of the Aiwa to other brands. It was more than 3:1, closer to 4:1. Just something to think about.

-Barry-

P.S. I'd get a Yamaha Kodiak 450.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:42 PM

My Dad has a 86 Honda 4x4 and it runs better than my 2001 Arctic Cat. I cant believe for as old as that Honda is, how good it still runs.

Speaking of Arctic Cat, I will never buy another one as long as I live. The CV boots are right in the middle and left out in the open to get ripped by anything you run over. I have replaced the 2 rear ones 3 times now "and" the thing still doesnt idle as smooth as my Dads 86 Honda.

I just recently bought a beat up 84 Honda 3 wheeler for $200, changed the plug, adjusted the carb and it purrs like a kitten.

If I could find a brand new 86 Honda 4x4, I would be all over it.......

CB
Old 05-21-2005, 09:15 AM

Ive owned a honda and currently own a yamaha and those are the only 2 that I would consider owning. I dont like kawasaki and hate artic cats. Polaris or bombardier are not even on the radar for me.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 97 Polaris Sportsman 500 which has around 300 hours on it.It's had it's share of minor problems.Tie rod ends at 225 hours.Under warranty the fan motor seized up.The original belt cover warps easy from heat.Polaris has since revised the belt covers with a more heat resistant plastic.The main reason I would NEVER buy another one is Polaris's Customer Service.They by far are the worst I have ever dealt with.If you can't get satisfaction after the sale is made,then they don't need my future business.I wish I were in the position where I could afford to buy a new 4 wheeler.It would be a Honda.In my area I see allot of the Polaris 500's.Apparently most are happy with them.I see dozens of them in Georgia during hunting seaon.I would feel allot better about them,if Polaris would get a decent customer service.Then I might reconsider them,until then no way..

Ruger Redhawk
Old 05-25-2005, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, believe me. I have a hard time convincing people that Onieda are actually a good quality bow now that Claude Pollington has taken over. Now that Roger "Dodger" Loomis has split. Wow, if you dont follow Oneida or the way he ran the company, you would have a hard time believe the crap he pulled. Its unbelievable.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 AM

I have been riding Honda's since 1980 I believe it was, which was a 110 3-wheeler. It still runs today. I now own a Yamaha....I got suckered by the bigger number on the side. I have a 600 Grizzly and I bet my 400 foreman can drag it around the yard. The biggest compliment for Honda that I have is the "Hardly No Maintenance".

Two years ago I brought my Yamaha in due to power loss. The clutch was in bad shape. When I brought it in they asked me how often I brought it in to get the clutch greased, ofcourse I told them never. When I asked if this was in the maintenance book for the book he told me, "It doesn't matter what is in the maintenance book that I get at the time of purchase. I should get what is in their book." $1200 for clutch damage and other slight problems in a 3 year old bike.......I blew my Top. For anyone out there that owns an automatic transmission on a Yamaha and doesn't know. The bike has to be brought in every 6 months to be greased. And "NO" you can't do it yourself....it takes special tools that only the Yamaha Bike shops have. I wish I could sell it and get another one. I may have to start begging the wife.....