HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A bad reputation is hard to overcome!
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 04:10 PM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A bad reputation is hard to overcome!

I concur Jag.

I own a polaris and I have spent more wrench time on it with less used hours than other quads I have experienced. It hasn't required major work to the engine but in the 94 model I own due to poor design I have replaced 2 starter due to placement and taking on water. Also the belt housing is poorly designed and has caused me to replace the belt with less miles logged than stated. It does not have a great low range so while it will grunt out some heavy payloads it often means a cooling period especially in warm weather. I have twice had to repair the electronic to the front hubs, again poor design on this model and it seems to get snagged by sticks.. The brakes have been redone due to having to rely on them vs engine braking more than similar vintage quads (now this is an older model). Number of grease fittings is aweful. The plastic/expensive counter balance oil dipstick is a joke both in quality and placement. Lower resale for the investment in my area.

On the positive side great ride for the vintage, easy to drive for less experienced and good balance. It will go anywhere that other bikes will go as it's 4x4 drive system is decent but a little slow to lock up and clearance is good as well. Pulling wheeled trailer it seems to have no problems putting the tires in motions.

My wrench time, lack of support and these silly annoying design flaws that cause me extra costs/grief in maintaining the bike for heavy use, finds the polaris parked full time at the cabin as strictly a low impact ATV(AKA the wifes berry picking vehicle). Quite simple any moderate work or hunting use I look to a more suitable brand. So while the newer ones I have heard are much improved I will not consider buying again, based on personal experience.