Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

mosquito repellant

Old 09-10-2002, 12:40 PM

Default mosquito repellant

with west nile around is there a good mosquito repellant that does not smell or smells like something that will not spook deer?
Old 09-14-2002, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mosquito repellant

Try No Stinkin Bugs.....Fresh Earth Scent....works great!
Old 09-18-2002, 01:26 PM

Your concern is a good one. Special events call for special products. This may sound nuts, but try it.

- Squeeze three limes or lemons
- 1/3 cup of regular rubbing alc.
- 4 tea spoons of baby oil

Mix to a usable consistancy (you may want to add to cut some) and apply.

Non toxic, cost effective. Try it out and let me know what you think?
Old 09-26-2002, 03:49 PM

Permanone it the best tick/insect reppelent on the market. It gives your clothes two weeks of protection. It is not good to use it like regular bug spray so be sure and read the directions before use.

"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom.""
Author
-Chief Sitting Bull
Old 10-01-2002, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Shannons Bug Tamer is the best investment i've ever made on any hunting cloths that i have. The thing just plain works. I also treat my cloths with Duranon which works well and is odorless.
Old 10-11-2002, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

I was recently deployed to Turkey for 4 months. I went boar hunting in the mountains and ran into some, for lack of a better phrase, mountain people. I stayed with them for a day and hunted with their son. When I slapped a mosquito on my neck the boy went and picked a plant from the field, rubbed it between his hands like a play-do snake and then rubbed his hands on my neck. The plant is Yarrow and it grows all over the world. It has many uses and one of them is bug repellant. It lasts for about an hour or two then you just rub it in your hands again and re-apply. For more info do a search of Yarrow at http:/www.google.com or go to this web site http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/w...d/42/42.5.html

Cargo
Old 10-14-2002, 12:08 AM

Have to check out the yarrow. As for commercial products the Repel Earth Scent has been used by several with success. Castor from beaver works well and yes you can buy it online at www.bugspray.com. According to all the research I have done its one of the things used by the old mountain men/beaver trappers. It has three guarantees:
1. you will not have mosquito problems
2. you will not need a cover scent.
3. you will not have to worry about your love life. you won't have one so don't worry about it.

Hey, size may not matter but it sure IS nice!