Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

thermacell mosquito repellant

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Spike

Default thermacell mosquito repellant

I bowhunt in south Arkansas and I have just about been carried of my stand by giant mosquitos. I am fed up with it I have tried bug suits and all that I can think of. Has anyone had any experience with the thermacell repellant devices? I have heard that they work great and don't spook game. However I am a FREAK when it comes to scent control and go to extreme lengths to avoid being busted by scent. I would appreciate any feedback on this topic.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 AM

Default RE: thermacell mosquito repellant

I have one and it worked. The thing smells and if I can smell it, you know deer can. That's why I do not use it in the field.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Spike

They work GREAT and they do give off a smell but I've shot several hogs and had tons of deer come in to the feeders while I have mine on. I have an elevated platform stand that I sit on 65 yards from the feeders. The smell doesn't seem to affect them.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can smell them but their odor does not spook game. i have deer feed underneath me while mine is going.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

you can smell them but their odor does not spook game. i have deer feed underneath me while mine is going.

How do they work if it is breezy out?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Spike

I am very serious about bow hunting, and often have deer feed directly under me even feeding on vines at the bottom of the tree I'm in. I would like to try one out I have just been afraid of ruining a trip to the woods, trying it out. Last year I had a quality shooter 8 pt within 10 yards or less 3 times while on my stand, I failed to get a shot but I would like to know that if i do use a thermacell, I could have the same opportunities. I appreciate everybody's input.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

hey bc i live in northeast arkansas where all the rice fields are located, them things are awful up here, skeeters in mean. there is no way i could stay out there hunting without mine. like the other fellas said there is an odor, but it hasnt ever alarmed any deer. i dont go to the woods without mine.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 AM

I live in Cow Hampshire and the skeeters are bad here as well. I have the thermacell and plan on using mine for the early part of the season upto the 1st frost.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

i live in south ark, to and was leary of them at first. They are your best bet. i've killed several bucks within 20 yds with mine going. i don't hesitate to use it if i need to.

where are you from in south ark?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have deer hunted in SA in bottoms land where the mosquitoes eat birds, and have used Thermacell for several years deer hunting with no problems that I can see. I'm usually 20-30ft in a tree, so if you are hunting on the ground, I can't speak to that.

Quick Reply: thermacell mosquito repellant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.