Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Kawasaki Prairie 650

Old 09-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Spike

Default RE: Kawasaki Prairie 650

I looked at atv's this past summer and it came down to the Prairie 650 and the 660 Griz. I went with the Griz for a couple of reasons. I asked both dealers at what point should I not go any deeper in water. The Kawasaki dealer said no higher than the floorboards. The Griz dealer said dont go over the front racks as this is where the air breather is. Big difference. Also I liked the looks of the 660 and the powdercoated racks they come with. As far as power I thought the Prairie had a small edge.
Honda used to be the only bike I would look at. But this new trans they have scares me. You dont repair it you spend $1600.00 plus to replace it. On the belt drives about $40.00 plus labor and your good to go.
You cant go wrong with either one I think

Old 10-06-2002, 07:12 PM
XTP

I think one dealer was telling you what is written in the manual,the other was giving his own opinion.My Rancher's manual also says the floorboards,but we've gone through much deeper than that.Sorry guys...I like my Honda and will stick by it.It's not the biggest machine on earth.....but I have not found it lacking in any way.It does what I want it to...when I want it to,so I'm happy.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:48 PM

First off,let me point you to the most informative ATV website there is,ATVTIME.com.On to your question.Both machines you asked about are very reliable,very powerful,and very fun.If your main use is for hunting,and you intent to haul (pull or laod it) you may want to look at the Griz.It comes standard with a hitch,and if memory serves me right the Yamaha has larger racks.Make a list of things you intend to do with the quad,and then look to see how the machines in your "want list" are equipped to handle the tasks.FOr example,if you have wet,muddy terrain most of the times,look to the Grizzly with the higher ground clearance.Machines with IRS (independant rear suspension) tend to have higher ground clearance (except Rincon) and ride much better than straight axle designs(650 Prarie).If you ride terrain that is hilly,or uneven,the 650 Prarie will feel more stable as it has a bit lower center of gravity.Please consider your options carefully as spending money on the wrong machine will leave you less than satisfied.Personaly I own nothing but Polaris.We have five of them in the family and they never fail to get the job done.Again,visit www.atvtime.com.It is a bullitan board very similar to this.My user name there is DUSE.

Visit me at www.ATVTime.com!