Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Kawasaki Prairie 650

Old 08-12-2002, 03:45 PM

Default Kawasaki Prairie 650

What do you think of this machine? Trying to decide between the Prairie and the Yamaha Grizzly. No Polaris too much time in the shop.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:11 PM

Default RE: Kawasaki Prairie 650

My brother has this machine and it's ALL power! Great machine has 2 or four wheel button on it that is great for trail riding. I was just checking one out on Saturday it has the camo paint on it. I may have to trade in my 400 KVF
AL

Old 08-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Spike

I just bought a 2002 yamaha grizzly, very nice machine. smooth ride, tons of power, high and low range transmission, push button 4x4 with locking differential. Would definately recomend it.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would go for the rubicon as it is the only atv with a real automatic transmission without a belt.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Please take this advice!!
Go to one of the atv web forums and read what the owners of each machine are saying after putting some miles on their machines.
One of the two machines you mention has some people po'd toward it manufacturer because they won't repair known problems with it. The two sight's I'd recommend are Highlifter and atvconnection. Go to forums and click on the manufacturer, then start gaining knowledge on which machine sounds the best to you.

Old 09-10-2002, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I would go for the rubicon as it is the only atv with a real automatic transmission without a belt.
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Yeah, but you forgot to mention no power, no ground clearance, no suspension travel, and no locking front diff. If you were dead set on a Honda, then I would wait for their 650 that is supposedly coming out soon. They make a bulletproof bike, but they are behind the times in terms of performance.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:27 PM

Both rides are close in comparison. What will you be using it for? Hunting,work, fun or all of the above. Their both great rides and offer a veriety of options. For the money and consumer appeal I would more than likley go with the Grizzly. Dont, turn your back on the Polaris though, more so in the past they could send you to the shop or walking back to the camp, but they have some great ride and fair prices.

Jred
Old 09-22-2002, 04:57 AM

Polaris is the best overall ATV on the planet. I have a Sportsman 400 with 106 hours/1080 miles. 2 oil changes, 2 rounds of grease fitting maintenance and 4 air filter cover cleaning has been the only thing done to my ride. All in house. My buddies have 2 1995 Polaris 400's and 2 others have Sportsman 500 H.O.'s. We all do our routine maintenance and out of the 5 - none have ever seen the inside of a repair shop. The 2 1995 models have several thousand miles on them and have worn out 2 and 3 sets of tires. If you can use a grease gun you can own the best. My 400 tops out at 56 MPH.

Why do you think they have sold over 1 million Sportsman models. 6X more than the competition combined?

Polaris has true 4WD where the others have limited slip (3 1/2)
11.25 in ground clearance - Rubicon a weeny 7.8
Way over 1000 lb towing - Honda 850
4.75 gallon tank with reserve switch - others less
Best and most comfy ride - independent rear suspension Honda nope.
So if comfort, clearing creeks, rocks, standing on your racks, true 4WD, and realiability is in your interest - Polaris is the ATV.

Otherwise get something else and then maybe your second ATV will be the correct choice.<font face='Arial'></font id='Arial'>
Old 09-22-2002, 10:57 AM

I have worked with all brands of atv's and work in one of the largest dealers in the nation, i have about 12 yrs exp with these machines we have them all from honda to polaris . just from my point of view as in the shop, polaris when taken care of is pretty reliable machine. but im no fan for 2stroke hunting machines and the 4 stroke polaris..well needs a bit of work. the grizzly is a 4 stroke power house ,nice smooth ride and 4wheel independent suspension , watercooled , and it does have a true 4 wheel drive system..in 4x4 just push the dif lock button when you need it. as far as honda i never really liked them. but i just took a new rincon for a cruise and wow , well wait and see how it does..lol kawasaki prairie , is a good machine , i havent seen to many come in my shop but for regular service. but seems to be built solid and they to have a diff lock as well just pull a lever when you want full 4x4.suzuki vinson is a real nice machine as well no belt drive..one solid drive shaft in motor and drive axles to rear end and front end..solid all these machines except honda and susuki are belt drive..similar to a snow mobile and when you by accident or maybe not by accident go over your water fording limit..well you need your tool kit and some drain time..lol. my choice for working and towing and hunting..the grizzly

Gun Control: a solution looking for a problem
MRVM IHMSA
Old 09-24-2002, 02:29 PM
Spike

I looked at atv's this past summer and it came down to the Prairie 650 and the 660 Griz. I went with the Griz for a couple of reasons. I asked both dealers at what point should I not go any deeper in water. The Kawasaki dealer said no higher than the floorboards. The Griz dealer said dont go over the front racks as this is where the air breather is. Big difference. Also I liked the looks of the 660 and the powdercoated racks they come with. As far as power I thought the Prairie had a small edge.
Honda used to be the only bike I would look at. But this new trans they have scares me. You dont repair it you spend $1600.00 plus to replace it. On the belt drives about $40.00 plus labor and your good to go.
You cant go wrong with either one I think

Quick Reply: Kawasaki Prairie 650

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.