Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

tents

Old 04-04-2002, 04:00 PM

Default tents

I know this may seem early to some but, we bought a MONTANA CANVAS tent last year for elk hunting. it was an 18x23 sounds big, but there were 6 of us & all our gear, we also cooked in there. we had plenty of room. The tent is made of RELITE material. a real light but very strong material, it only weighs about 50#. we also got the aluminium frame which weighs about 80#. it takes about an hour to set up with only 2 people that know what they are doing.
We did not order a fly with it and that is a MUST!!! it keeps out the water & helps keep the heat in. we used 2 30,000 BTU propane furance, never did run them wide open, and kept plenty warm, in temps as low as zero.
larry
Old 04-08-2002, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: tents

Montana Canvas tents are awesome! The picture below is my 12'x14' canvas model. I purchased mine from Cabela's in the summer of 2000. I bought the Kwik Kamp aluminum frame and the Hunter model Cylinder Stove package. I use a 16'x20' tarp for a rainfly. I have used it on three hunts and it is absolutely the best money I've ever spent. It is amazing how much more enjoyable a hunt can be when you are warm and well rested.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:00 PM

I have a 4 person tent and it is very comfortable never took it hunting though!
Old 05-16-2002, 08:53 PM

I also love my Wall tent. It's a 12x14 tent from Beckel with an internal Kwik Kamp frame. I currently have a Army surplus wood burning pot belly stove, but I would like to get one of Kwik Kamp's new stoves. I use it for turkey, deer and elk hunting. RuRu12, do you have one of their new stoves? If so, does it hold a fire all night as advertised?
Old 05-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

CamoHunter - I have the Hunter model stove from Cylinder Stoves of Utah. I bought the package from Cabela's. The package comes with the stove, nesting stovepipe, spark arrestor, warming tray, and a water tank that mounts on the side of the stove. The water tank is great because not only does it give you hot water, but if you mount it on the side of the stove toward the door it forces more of the heat back into the open interior of the tent. If you get the damper set right and pack the stove completely full it will burn all night. If you don't get the damper right, or don't have it completely full, you'll wake up to a cold tent. I would highly reccomend Cylinder brand stoves. If I were buying another one I'd probably buy the larger Outfitter model.

"Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking."