Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ol'Man Original Climber

Old 03-28-2002, 11:44 AM

Default Ol'Man Original Climber

Brand: Ol' Man
Model: Original climber
Price: about $160
Style: Climbing
Overall rating: Very good

The Ol'Man climber is very comfortable. The net seat allows the hunter to adjust the width and location fairly easy. The net seat distributes pressure evenly so you can stay in it all day. Since it is a net, it can be scrunched out of the way easily when standing. Setting up the stand is a fairly straight forward procedure and can be done quietly if you take your time. The stand does go up appropriate trees without too much hassle. The original Ol'Man has the full wrap around bar which provides a good sense of security. I do not find it to be in the way at all when bowhunting even while sitting. The stand is light and backpacks quite easily. The procedure to break it down is fast and it folds real flat. The supplied chest harness seems to be durable but I use a Seat-O-The-Pants full harness.

When you reach your desired height, the seat must be flipped around if you want to sit with your back to the tree. This operation is extremely tricky since you need to step over the net seat. The upper section should be lowered to do this. Somewhat akward. Ol' Man does sell a seperate add-on net seat which I think should be included with the stand. Setting up the climber (as with all climbers) in the dark is frustrating at best. I defy anybody to do it absolutely silently. You need to align the pins with the holes and through the cable. Make sure you bring a flashlight to do this! On smaller diameter trees, the side bars of the Ol'Man original angle inward and can press into your sides. Can be uncomfortable and catch your hips when you stand up. Not a good thing. The Ol'Man really doesn't lock that tight on smaller trees either. It's secure, but does rock slightly. Choose a tree closest to the max size the Ol'Man will fit on. Ol'Man didn't supply a bow holder. Most companies are tossing in a free one, why can't Ol'Man? Each section comes with a strap system to lock the sections onto the tree better. The process of snapping the lower straps together is tricky. You need to reach down to do this so you have to lower to top section and your safety strap to give you the room you need. These straps can also sometimes get caught under the teeth or cable during the climb so your forced to try to free them. Just another time-comsuming, pain-in-the-butt step that keeps you from begining your hunt.

Once up in the tree and configured, the stand allows you to be comfortable all day. I'v never hunted as long in the past. Actually, I don't even think about the stand when I'm setup. This outshines the minor complaints I have about it. I'd like to get the extra net seat and a bow holder. After that, the stand will receive a higher rating from me.

-Mike
Old 03-28-2002, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ol'Man Original Climber

I have an Original Ol Man Climber...and for the little extra money, I'd go with the Vision. It has quite a bit extra room and is not as crunched. Thanks for the Ol Man Original review though. Ol Man makes a good lign of stands.
Old 03-30-2002, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much does it weigh?
Old 04-01-2002, 11:13 AM

The vision weighs around 23#. The original is 19#.

-Mike
Old 04-03-2002, 08:08 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-12-2002, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the vision and the net seat is the best seat I've ever used.Light to carry but as Duke explained it's a little bulky walking in tight places.