Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Fog You Swarovski!!!!!!!

Old 10-22-2004, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fog You Swarovski!!!!!!!

Recently bought a brand new pair of SLC 10X42 Swarovskis.
Paid an arm and leg.
Second hunting trip with them was this week.
5 days in the mountains. A bit of light rain and not real cold.
Got home and the right barrel was all fogged internally.
Man am I bitterly disappointed.
Sure the fogging cleared after 10 hours on a warm sunny window sill.
But what a let down.
Bino's at a quarter the price don't do that!!!
They have been treated with greatest of care and definitely not subjected to anything near what Swarv claims to be the operating range. (Temperatue and submersion.)
They've gone straight back to the dealer today, and there was []no replacement offered, just a 3 week wait while they go back to the factory in Germany.....or is it Czech?...... to get refurbished.
"Fog" them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily I have a great pair of Leica BN 10X42 so I can get back out hunting tomorrow.
I have been using both to decide which to keep, now my mind is totally made up.
I'd be interested if anyone else has had these problems. I'm told it is quite common for Swarv's to fog, and yet never heard of Leica's fogging.
As to buying more Swarovski products, well they can sure go get "Fogged"
My next pair will definitely not be the E.L.'s I've had my eye on.
It will be Ultravids for sure.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:50 AM

Default Manufacturing defect

I am surprised that the dealer didn't give you another pair immediately. With what you paid, you should get better service.

Stuff happens, somehow moisture got into the right lens before the seals went on. Most manufacturers purge the bodies with dried nitrogen or other inert gases to prevent this occurance.

So I blame the dealer for not standing by you.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Spike

Default RE: Fog You Swarovski!!!!!!!

don't blame the dealer. His only the middle man-Swarovski is the place that they get repaired. If you bought a new Mercedes and something broke-DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WOULD GIVE YOU A NEW ONE! In one word-NO
Old 11-03-2004, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never could understand all the hoopla over Swaros..my Leica is much sturdier and I have yet to see better optics. I am looking at those Brunton Epochs though and they are really starting to interest me especially their carrying weight and available power range. I really like their 7.5x43
Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

My 300 or 200 dollar Nikons wont do that!!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 06:45 PM
Spike

i paid more than i should have for some steiners. thought they were marine and military tough and fashionably german quality . had them about a year never seen any real rough or wet treatment and the left side fogged. what a letdown. i have since tried leupold wind rivers and have been happy ever since.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim, I purchased a rifle a few years ago that had a PH 2.5 x 10 Swarovski. I hear from many hunters how bright they are compared to US scopes. This scope had a 53 mm optics with 30 mm tube. Late one evening I pulled this rifle out and one that has a Leupold 4.5 x 14. I set them both on 8 power and looked at a night light on a farm about a mile away. I saw no noticiable difference in clarity or light gathering capability on targets around the barn. I sold the Swarovsky and the fellow that bought it also stated this scope fogged up on a hunt to Utah. With the quality optics available by US manufactures I see no reason to piss away a grand for a scope, unless you drive a BMW and wear a sweater around your neck to go to the range. I have learned my lesson. I purchase only Leupold's with the no hassle, lifetime warranty.
Good Hunting...
Old 06-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Fork Horn

Smile............................................. ...........
Old 06-22-2013, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say your experience is certainly not typical. As for the dealer .... not sure any dealers are Swarovski authorized service centers. And there could be contractual agreeements between the dealers and the Swarovski distributor that preclude dealer replacements. I am not sure about any of that. I do know that the dealer I buy almost all of my hunting and fishing stuff from handles Swarovski. He does not do replacement of defective Swarovski gear or do any repairs of Swarovski gear. This dealer is among the highest volume of all US Swarovski outlets.

I have a set of SLC's that are several years old and have been through heck ..... hunting in 100+F in SE Alabama, dropped from 20', -20F up in Montana, hunting in driving rain, sleet, snow, temperature swings in a day from about 25F to 75F, submerged accidently when I fell while easing through a waite deep swamp, spotting for Redfish schools out in the Gulf of Mexico ... salt spray, etc. Not one iota of an issue except one eye-cup rubber pad came off. I had to order this from Swarovski.

As for Swarovski scopes .... I have three and am well satisfied with al 3. One sits upon my No.1 hunting rifle.

I agree with Sniper 151 though. Once you get well into the top of the line scopes or binos (Leupold, Swarovski, Lieca, Ziess, Schmitt-Bender, Doctor, etc.) there is often absolutely miniscule differences between makers. All premium optics should be exceptionally clear, crisp, with stunning contrast, edge to edge clarity, with excellent low light performance. And every one that I have had experience with certainly are

The trick is finding that $300 - $350 +/- value. There are a few out there that I have used that fit that bill ... Vortex, Bushnell Elite, Pentax, and Meopta to mention a few. These are clear, crisp, with good edge to edge imaging and reasonable low light performaning optics...... but not truly comparable to any of the top end stuff.