Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Is it really worth it??

Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Is it really worth it??

I was talking with a buddy who hunts alot more then I do last night and we fell into a disussion regarding scopes. I had said that basically the money you spend on optics determines how good they are and he agreed with me to a point. The point being that spending say $500-600 cnd is going to get you a very good scope (Leupold, 4200 Bushnell, Weaver Grand Slam, Nikon) spending $2200 plus tax on a high end Zeiss or Khales seems a bit much. Do you guys think it is more a statment of wealth having a scope this expensive or are you going to be a better hunter being equiped with a high end scope. Is it even worth consdiering if you are not rich, because you're talking alot of money for the average folk.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is it really worth it??

I think after a certain point snob factor plays a big part. You can buy a 400-500 dollar Luepold scope and you probably then have about all the quality you are going to get. You can get more features which could add more to the price. A siper or someone who needs more features that the hunter does may be justified spending more money. However are you going to get more quality and hunter needed features by spending another 1000 or more? Not in my book. How clear is clear and sharp? I have seen some pretty low cost scopes that are every bit as sharp and clear as much more expensive scopes. What I look for in a scope is one that has a clear sharp view and even more critical, It better hold up to recoil and moisture. My needs can and have been met and exceeded by scopes costing from 50 bucks to 300 bucks. Therefore for me I am not spending spending more than I need to when I may well need the money for other things. I won't spend more that 250 for a scope under any conditions. I have a couple Luepolds but only because I found them for 100 dollars or more off the regular price. You don't have to be rich to buy and expensive scope. Its a matter of what you choose to spend your money on. If I spend to much for a scope then thats money that has to be taken from my budget for other things. You have to decide how important a purchase is to you and take it from there.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot to 200 yards with a Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40. It cost me a whole $200, and it's plenty good enough for me. Yes, crystal-clear optics are necessary for long-range, low-light shooting, but your average deer hunter isn't doing that.

I plan on getting an .300RM A-Bolt and mounting a VX-III on it, but that's really about as high as I could ever see myself going. If anyone here feels that they need more expensive optics, I'd love to hear the reasons.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:58 PM

Like everthing else brand name means more to some people than what they're actually getting. Some people just like to say I have a Zeiss on my gun and it does this and that whereas your Bushnell could never compare. So alot of it does have to do with showing off the bank account more than function of the scope its not like back in the day when there was considerable difference between the manufacturers they all produce good scopes that fit the need of the hunter.

I know guys that have high end scopes on guns that they say are for hunting but never take them anywhere but the range.

Crawdaddy
Old 01-28-2004, 03:06 PM

Hi Norco,

"Pride of ownership" may play a part in nearly any purchase. And only you, as the individual, spending the money can decide "how much is enough". But you could ask the same question about most things.

If you rode in four miles of mud track to get to camp......would you rather go in a ten year old bare bones Tracker.....or would you like to go in a loaded Hummer? They both may get you there and back....but one does it "with style".

So the question really has to be answered by the individual! I don't think either are "wrong"! It depends on what you like.....your "means".....and your willingness to "spend...or not"!

Either way.....best of luck....enjoy yourself....and do nothing to portray hunters negatively!

Dave
Old 01-28-2004, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that up to a point, you get what you pay for! Cheap, is asking for trouble! But once you get past the 3-400 dollar range, you will probably get to the point of deminishing returns.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:25 PM

I've owned every major brand of scope except zeis and Khales. You do get what you pay for. I think it is true that above the $300-$400 range, you might hit a point where the dollars spent are less justified. Most scopes in the $300-$400 range provide more than enough light to shoot beyond legal shooting hours. Most of them have accurate movement/adjustment, do not fog up and will hold a zero throughout the variable adjustment range. Scopes in this price range are also far less likely to require warranty work in my experience. So yes, they are adequate. Does this mean that it is a waste to spend more? Obviously the answer is personal to the purchaser and takes into account the ability to pay. I do believe too many people pay more than they have to becaue they insist on buying new or are unwilling to shop around. I won't pay retail for optics. I've purchased more than a dozen used VariX III for less than $300 and have never had to return one. I've also found deals on swarovski scopes that make them comparable to new leupolds and which allow me to justify the additional expenditure. I do have strong feelings about the cost benefit of binoculars--IMO, the high end ones are worth every penny. This is particularly so if your hunting methods entail many hours of glassing.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I believe it to be somewhat of an issue of practicality. If you are a hunter that basically only uses his rifle a few times a year then paying $2000 for a scope seems somewhat ridiculous. However, if you are a guide or someone that will be using their rifle extensively for hunting or otherwise then you are going to want the best that is out there...at least I would...and though $2000 sounds a bit steep I would still pay it if it someday means the difference between coming home with a trophy and not.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:13 AM

Alot of high end scopes you buy you are paying for the "lifetime warranty".
I have never paid over $250 on a scope and they've all performed great. However, my shots are limited to under 200 yards where I hunt.
Does a $2000 rifle shoot better than a $500 rifle? Doubt it.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:45 AM

Yeah.....but what about all those fellas that stick a $59. scope on an $800. rifle? Doesn't make much sense either! Depends on what you like.....and what your spending habits allow for.

P.S. I actually knew a guy that put a $60.or $70. Tasco on a Steyr SSG[X(]

Quick Reply: Is it really worth it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.