Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one! >

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Old 07-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Spike

stay away from a Polaris I have a 2013 550cc Polaris with 300 miles on it took it to canada two times first time it had 100 miles on it and had to park it when it didn't run any more took it in for repairs and was told intake manifold game loose .. went back to Canada this year and had to take it easy on it because it would not go faster then 35 mph took it in for repairs and they can not find anything wrong with it and was told they have no idea why it would have done that so I feel I pretty much have a 8000.00 piece of junk with 300 miles on it
Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Spike

Honda........ rancher or foreman
Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another Honda fan,no belts just shaft drive...
Old 10-05-2016, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a Honda fan too, but I bought a Kaw. 650 because I got a deal on it. I only use it for huntng so I do not put many miles on it, it has about 2100 now. It is a 2006 model, I bought it used seven years ago and have done nothing to it but change spark plugs(once) and oil several times. It has more power then I need, a 500 would probably be adequate. If I could change anything, I would want fuel injection, mine is cold natured as someone already mentioned.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The only thing I know about ATV's

is I go to a sporting goods outlet and look at the ATV's first. Shake my head at the price, and know I won't spend nearly that much money that day.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM
Unless your hauling or doing heavy rancher/farmer work anything over 500cc's is not required in ATV. It adds weight and expense for the lack of real usage.

I own a polaris 400 sportsman it hasn't let me down. However in all honesty if I had to buy new it would be: Honda and Yamie in that order. I have owned Hondas (still have a 400 foreman) and they have been excellent.[]
We had a 400 foreman in camp and it did everything we needed for years and still runs to this day. I forget what the actual name of the old Honda 300's were called ( we just called them 300's) seemed like in the mid- late 90's that's what everyone hunted on. If I could find one used I'd buy it today. Nobody wants to sell them though and rumor around my camp was the reason Honda stopped making them was because they were too reliable. Anyway, guess I'm getting off topic so : Sit on them and see whats comfortable, I'd recommend an optional kick starter in case the starter goes out for some reason, nowadays you still have to have the key for theft devices I guess. Look at what after market hunting accessories are available and what you may be interested in. Third party gun cases and racks are good but if your ATV has a small following it may be hard to find aftermarket stuff to fit. They all have 4 wheels and go in the woods so prolly small stuff you like would be the deciding factor.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I'll second what the last poster said about getting an optional kick starter. Most machines bigger than 450 won't have that due to the compression. I use my 450 Suzuki King Quad all winter for ice fishing and have on occasion had the starter battery die due to the cold. Without that kick start I would have had to be towed off the ice and often I am the only one out there.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Old thread... I've owned a bunch of them... All used... Hondas, Kawasaki, Polaris, Suzuki, Yamaha, most all the name brands... The biggest difference between them all was maintenance... If the machine had been well maintained, it served me well. If it had been beat and never serviced problems arose.. I currently have a Polaris 500, and a Suzuki Eiger 400.... the Polaris has the cushier ride due to better suspension, but I primarily grab the Eiger, it's smaller, lighter, a little easier to fit in tight spaces, the only downside is the solid rear axel. I've had lots of four wheelers though, 4x4's, sport quads, maintenance is big. Take care of it... Get the MUD off it before you put it away. Makes a big difference.
-Jake