Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one! >

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Old 04-02-2004, 03:34 AM

Default RE: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

You know, there was a time when I would've argued and said that Polaris makes the best *whatever*. That was before I dealt with the people that work for Polaris though. I don't know how their customer service is or how easy the company is to deal with (the last "toy" I owned was a Polaris sled back in '94), but I know what I don't like to see in a company... *ssholes! I'll give Polaris something though, they did chuck out the old CEO (who was one of the BIGGEST A/Hs I'd ever seen) so maybe they agree with me. However, most of their "higher ups" (also known as "brass" to us ex-millitary and millitary folks) are arrogant and self-absorbed. Let me give you an example (without names), "Hi, my name is John Doe, Chief Pilot, Polaris Industries. Me, me , me. Me, me me me me. Me me me." Get what I'm driving at? The guy is arrogance personified. If you don't own the same things he has, you're nothing but a bug. The same goes for all the company brass. You'd think that the suits of the company would be representing their company in public and would act accordingly. But nooooooooo. If you work for them, providing some kind of service, you're just some crap to be scraped off their shoe. My suggestion when looking for an ATV: Ask around, talk to people who own ATV's. Find out if there are many brand problems, find out how easy they are to get fixed, find out how much the brand wants to charge for parts, find out how easy those parts are to get. Find out EVERYTHING you can before making this kind of decision. And that's all I got to say about that.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:36 AM

Honda Rancher or foremem. Both are great machines just don't buy the 600 it has no low range.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honda Rancher or foremem. Both are great machines just don't buy the 600 it has no low range
Honda does make a 650 rincon but they do not make a 600.
Old 05-15-2004, 12:08 AM

Want an ATV better than them all? get your self a Yamaha. If you want to ride in the snow get a snowmobile. If you want to ride in the water get a jetski. If you want to do both get a Argo 6x or 8x. If you want a big fast four wheeler get yourself a four wheel drive truck. If you want to see for your self what not to get go to the local ATV repair shops and see whats having to be repaired the most. I do believe once you see whats being fixed that the ATV of the year picks are far from what you want. Hope This Helps, Caliber Rocks
Old 05-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've love'd my Polaris...never had any problem with it...alway's took me where I wanted to go with ease...but after listen to ya'll bad mouth em......geeeeeez....I almost wish I had'nt gotten one...[8D]
Old 05-23-2004, 09:03 PM

Id recomment the Kawasaki Prairie 700. Ive been reading reviews on the net, and they all give the prairie really good reviews.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:34 PM

well i have a yamahaa kodiak with a 2000lb winch on it so theres not to much to worry about when you decide to get irty on it but with only those choices i would have to go with the prarie but thats just becaus eim biased
Old 05-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted big power, a locking diff, the ability to switch from two to four wheel drive, a hi-lo tranny and a good guage cluster.
sounds like a polaris sportsman to me i also noticed the honda rancher was mentioned earlier. i just rode one of these yesterday in the trails for about an hour or so. my overall impressions on it were good. i think it had some decent power for a 350cc. it soaked up the bumps pretty good although i think if they made it with IRS it would be even better. this was a pretty decent 4wheeler. i think the main thing that honda should change about their 4wheelers is a switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. i could not get that thing to fish tail on the corners for nothing. if u arent looking to spend the amount of money that a sportsman costs then i would say go with this.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: T/C fan!

I'm going to stay out of the "which one is better" debate, but I can vouch for the Prairie 650. I use it for hunting and also for sport riding and it does both very well. Plenty of power, locking front differential, excellent instrument panel, and as for the weight, it weighs only about lbs. more than the 400 it replaced. Like others have said, get a winch!! It’s handy for obvious reasons, plus a winch is a great way to hoist big game for field-dressing. I can't really say what the long-term "test" will be; it’s only got 1100 miles on it, but so far, so good. Preventive maintenance is the key to any machine lasting.
I agree with you T/C fan! I have a Kawasaki Prairie 700 (they upgraded it from 650cc to 700cc) and I love it! I even got it in Camo and it looks sharp. Have a winch and a plow for it and works great, especially since I live in Michigan. Has plenty of power and speed if you like that. The only complaint is that it is a little cold blooded, so you have to let it warm up before plowing or going out in the winter.
I give the Kawasaki Prairie 700 4x4 Camo, a 10 out of 10
Check out the Specifications at http://www.kawasaki.com/admin/Flash/atv700camo_print.html
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 PM
Spike

I got away from the "quad" thing and went with a UTV, i.e. Polaris Ranger 800HD. It seats up to three across, has a cargo box, electronic power steering, single wheel, posi-traction and 4 wheel drive at the push of a button. It's the best choice I've ever made...and no regrets. I can haul pretty much anything, I can get two extra hunters inside and it's much easier to handle and very comfortable. No more strapping things on the back of the quad... I just toss it in the back box. This is just my opinion based on my research and now my few years of owning one. Love it well over what I liked about my quads. Just my educated opinion.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying an ATV recommend one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.