Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 thinking of buying, need suggestions >

thinking of buying, need suggestions

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

thinking of buying, need suggestions

Old 06-29-2006, 02:46 PM

Default thinking of buying, need suggestions

I'm thinking of buying my father a Xbow for Xmass, so I need a suggestion for an inexpensive starter bow for someone who may or may not end up wanting to continue using it.

(He wanted to go out for our late archery season with me, but he can't shoot his regular bowlike heused to and he is too stubborn to admit he qualifies for PA's special license even though I've caught him looking at them just so he can go with me)

Knowing him,it may end up in the closet after a season ortwo if he ends up not liking it and I don't have $700+ to spend on one just for him to try it out.Any thought as to which would fit the bill, or where I could find a used one in decent condition??????
Old 06-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: thinking of buying, need suggestions

Here in AR every pawn shop has a selection,if you don't want to spend enough for a new high quality one it is a good place to start. Lee
Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are two choices, recurve or compound. Recurves are lighter and simpler, compounds are narrower and a little more complicated, more moving parts. In the recurve aspect, Excalibur is hands down the best choice, and of the Excalibur line, a Phoenix is a sweet bow, 175 lb pull, which a rope cocker cuts in half. They areas fast as 305 fps w/ light arrows. In the compound line, there are several choices, alot of people are serious fans of 10 pts.If your father needs a mechanical cocking device, 10 pts Acudraw is the best.Barnett and Horton also have a huge following of happy owners. All have great customer service departments, probably the best of any sporting goods companies out there. Best you can do is go to a shop that carries several and check them all out. I will say that Excalibur holds it's value very well. Try to shoot what you pick prior to purchase as some of the lower end models have terrible trigger pulls. All Excals have the same, 3-4 lbs. I am obviously sold on my two Excals, the second one is an E'max and is a monster, way over powered for deer. Don't let the fps be your deciding factor, as they all have plenty enough speed. You can get the Phoenix for about $380 if you shop around, but will need a few bucks in accessories. You will no doubt get several pages off of this one, so stand by!!! LOL Straight arrows to ya
Old 06-29-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks, what you described sounds good. (besides, I buy the Xbow, my brother get s to buy accessories as his present to Dad)

Nice signature and very true,
never let "them" wear you down
Old 06-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Take your father to a proshop that carries both Tenpoints/SixPoints and Excaliburs , both manufactures have a lot to offer,, could not go wrong with either one,, I am sure since this is for your father that you do not wish to just buy the cheapest thing out there if he decides he does not like it you could always post it for sale on here .
if he likes shooting bows my bet is he will love it,,
Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW i see i have gotten here just in time fer some good advice![&o]Right! ok THEY TOLD YOU RIGHT, if you decide to buy new talk to us. We can steer you to a Dealer that has the xbow at decent price. Some of the Dealers will rip you a new one. Plus you don't need all that pkg. stuff they try to push, we will help you get stuff right![8D]
Old 06-30-2006, 08:18 AM

My old horton super mag starter bow lasted me twelve years in the feild and now is my loaner bow for friends. Horton makes some good starter bows that won't cost you an arm and a leg.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Hotburn is right. If you are wanting to stay around $350 or under, you can't beat the Yukon/SuperMag/Summit

If you want to get into the $500 range there are lots of good options that come as packages at good deals.
Randy