Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

binoculars?

Old 02-07-2004, 05:32 AM

Default RE: binoculars?

Sorry, but $400 ain't gonna get you anything that'll give swarovski, zeiss, or leica a run for their money. It's fun to dream though.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:56 PM
taw

Leopold Wind River (roof prism) 8-42 for $249
Old 02-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Bucks4me, you might want to check out any discontinued sales. I bought a pair of Swarovski's (7X30's) at a local gun store's discontinued sale about 15+ years ago. Turns out Swarovski had goofed and sent the newer model. The store told Swarovski about the order mixup and Swarovski told them they would still get the discontinued pricing. I bought those binos for $400 back then and have had to send them back for an eyecup problem once (wish I'd bought more than 1 pair). Swarovski completely rebuilt the binos (new serial # and everything) and didn't charge me a cent--said the lifetime warranty covered it.

If you can't find a discontinued sale you like, you might also try the Nikon binos. A friend has their spotting scope and it's excellent. A brother-in-law has the binos and they are fantastic, especially for the price. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:39 PM
DM

I don't like packing heavy bino's, so i bought the best bino's that wouldn't wear me out packing them all day long, and they are 8x30 Swarovski's.

I bought a product that will last the rest of my life, and i figure the price i paid to have excelent glass' for the rest of my life, isn't all that bad!

BTW, i have a pair of Zeiss too, but i always carry the Swarovski's!

Drilling Man
Old 02-18-2004, 06:44 PM

you do not pack the heavy binocs if you use the bino buddy sytem.i have a heavy pair if leica 12x50 and i can not even tell they are there.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't trade them for any others I've looked through, including the swauro's or Leica
Your Kidding Right?

Eagle Lake if your looking for a woods binocular I would go for the following magnification(s) and it will suit you to a T... 6x36(Eagleoptics) 7x35 7x42 8x42 8x50 ...and this will work in open areas(out west) as well in fact quite well. Look for roof prisms that are fully multicoated and are phase corrected. I like the Pentax DCF Sp's (get them on Ebay everyone else is one hundred bucks or more higher ) and Leupold Wind river pinnacles (DNRsports) and Nikon at the The Optics Zone ..any of these three sites would be a good resource to get information and the binos themselves. Of course you can spend 750+ and up and get Leica or Swarovski or Zeiss and get a really great bino but those 2 binos I covered will pretty much do the same as the highend stuff although you can get spoiled looking thru Leicas IMO.

www.dnrsports.com www.eagleoptics.com www.theopticzone.com