Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Boots

Old 12-20-2003, 06:36 AM

Default RE: Hunting Boots

Hi fisher_hunt,

You didn't state how you would be using your boots....and I'm surprised that no one asked. Though m2fin did specify Danners, and Sorels for the super cold. But before I'd even try to suggest the best pair of boots for you...I'd need to know how you intended on using them, (talking majority of the time). Knowing that makes all the difference in the world!

You are going to want distinctly different boots for different types of terrain, temperatures, and do you intend to walk a lot - sit a little. Or do you intend to sit a lot - walk a little? Though there are some boots that cross over these various roles reasonably well....by its very nature...."a jack of all trades" so to speak, won't excel at any one thing in particular.

If it sounds like I'm making a big to-do over a little thing....I promise I'm not. I spent over twenty years in the Infantry and to a large degree...made my living on my feet. The boot makes all the difference, (or nearly so).

For mild to moderate cold weather that I intend to do some walking in....I use either Danner's or Matterhorn's (mil-spec) leather outers, gore-tex, and 200 gram Thinsulate. For extremely cold days (or days I know I will be on stand all day with little walking) in the past I used LaCrosse Icemans. They are a heavy PAC boot but they were effective. Two years ago I replaced (but I still have the Icemans) them with a pair of Rocky's that are a combination leather/nylon upper with an inner system booty. They have 1000 gram ThinsulateULTRA, goretex.....and best of all...they are less than half the weight of the Icemans. But they are very warm. They are also fairly rigid soled...and not comfortable for long walks! (But neither were the Icemans because of their weight.)

For mountain hunting in warm weather I prefer a flexible leather upper boot, with little insulation. The above mentioned Danner/Matterhorn's are too warm when mountain hiking in warm weather. They also have uppers that are higher than I'd prefer,for the mountains, by about 2". Frequently if I know there is NO possibility of COLD weather I will usually take boots that are "lined" but not insulated. If the weather is moderate the Danner/Matterhorns will work as will several pairs of boots (European) manufactured that have lower uppers.

For deep snow (as in snow machine - snow shoeing type deep) then a PAC boot or insulated mountain boot with either a built in legging....or I will wear nylon leggings.

For marshland, bogs, (ie. Moose) knee boots if I can get away with them. Other wise hip waders, which I hate!

And for warm/mild weather hiking/hunting with lots of milage on the agenda just a plain lined leather or nylon boot that fits snugly.....and laced snugly!

(Oh and did I mention a couple pairs of extra socks. The kind that keep the moisture off your feet.)

Now that I have certainly worn out the topic, (and my welcome), I will add seriously.....evaluate how you intend to put your boots to use. Then buy the best fitting, best quality pair of boots you can afford! (I've seen a lot of "tough" guys put out of action.....because their feet were a mess.)

Good luck with your search!

P.S. This is a favorite subject for me. And I don't consider myself an expert but for those that know......I've participated in the Nijmegen March twice. And finished both times. It is a four day march in Holland. You march 30 miles each day...four days in a row. With "combat pack" and weapon. It certainly doesn't make you Superman...but if you don't have proper fitting boots and know how to care for your feet....you'll get "weeded out" by the third day. (Run some Marathons too.....but that's a different story.)

P.S.S. Before some of you other "really tough guys" give me the what for....for not being tough enough! I grew up "not poor" but "not rich" either...and spent far too many winter days/hunts in plain leather shoes or boots with cotton and or a pair of wool socks over them. I promise you....I know the difference between tough.....and stupid!
Old 12-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

m2fin
Are yours an older pair? The "Pronghorn" boots I purchased last month had a stiff, reinforced shank which, has a great deal of support. At Cabela's they showed me a pair of Black "Pronghorns" that were a little different in construction than the Brown ones I purchased. Different/older model?
Old 12-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with AK on this you have to match up your boots to the terrain/style of hunting your doing. For me a one boot fits all is not a possibility. The only musts I have are gortex bootie and rubber soles for my hunting footwear. If walking is a concern weight is an issue as well.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:36 PM

I third the post about matching your boot to your hunting terrain. I have owned several different brands, but for my foot the Browning is by far the most comfortable.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:03 AM

I hunted north of prescott AZ for the first time a year ago. i took a pair of danner with 200 thinsulate. they were extremely comfy and the insulation kept from getting to hot. they also were fairly thorn proof. the one thing i learned was that everything in AZ sticks, stabs or bites, my danner boots prevented those things from being a real problem. i purchased them from cabelas for about $130 and now see that they have their own that appear to be the same. the modle is the winter lite. i have been very happy with the comfort and general all round use.
"Keep Your Feathers Dry"
J. Alan
Old 12-22-2003, 12:24 PM

losthwy

The Danner camo Pronghorns I have are early manu date.

AKbound - 100% agree, you need to know the purpose/requirement before selecting a boot. I use a pair of Altmar desert combat boots in the summer, they are cool and light, last 1 year until the soles are thinned out, same boot would not serve the purpose for upland walking in the fall/winter months. 200grams Thinsulate makes a huge difference in the warm months while just a sutle plus for the winter. The Danner line of boots have worked well for me.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:19 PM

rockys are comfort. and keep feet dry, but arent good in the cold, danners are nice and the columbia with inserts
Old 12-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Irish Setters are a very good boot. Made by Red Wing.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:32 AM
Fork Horn

I have been looking at the Danner Pronghorns too, the are extremly comfortable right out of the box. I went yesterday to pick up a pair and a friend that works at the store not only told me but showed me the problems they were having with the Pronghorns.

The center part of the sole where it is not sewn is glued and he had three pairs ready to ship back for warranty replacement. He also told me that these boots are made overseas and are not the quality of the made in the USA Danners.

Just when I thought I found the perfect pair of boots.

Is anyone have trouble with the sole separating in the arch part of this boot???

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-26-2003, 10:34 PM

I just got a pair of Irish Setter Buck Tracker 810. I love them, except I wish I would have gone with the 1000 thinsulate.

DM

ORIGINAL: A5Mag12

Irish Setters are a very good boot. Made by Red Wing.