Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
Looking for New Boots and Opinions >

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Old 03-02-2019, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default Looking for New Boots and Opinions

Hey guys,
I've narrowed my selection down between the Danner Pronghorn and the Danner Alsea (both uninsulated). They fit my foot about the same (I use Red Wing 2200 Memory insoles in all my boots). My main question is longevity. It's hard to tell when you're walking around a store. I'll use them for two main purposes: hog/ram hunts in the mountains in hot/humid conditions, and pheasant hunting in fields with brush. I spent over 6 hours in 3 local stores trying on dozens of boots, these are the only two that I'm torn between. I have a "hard to fit" foot and have found two that I like, so I'm really looking for opinions on these two. I appreciate any feedback!

PLEASE READ: I've tried Irish Setter Vaprtrek, all Red Wing boots, Wolverine, Merrell, Meidl, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Red Head, Muck (worst of the bunch for my foot), so please keep comments to the two specified in my post. Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

I've deleted your other threads per rule #11

11. No spamming; do not post the same message in every topic with different titles, but with the same message. Only post your message into the topic it most relates too.

you can view the rules here.
https://www.huntingnet.com/articles/message-boardchat-room-rules.html

-Jake
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

I've had good luck with danner products for duty boots. And I believe their hunting boots will offer the same quality. I would look up individual reviews on each of those boots and make your decision from there.

-Jake
Old 03-02-2019, 09:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've deleted your other threads per rule #11

11. No spamming; do not post the same message in every topic with different titles, but with the same message. Only post your message into the topic it most relates too.

you can view the rules here.
https://www.huntingnet.com/articles/...oom-rules.html

-Jake

My apologies Jake,
I didn't know which category to post it under. I wasn't aware of that rule, but thanks for upholding it for the rest of us. However I didn't break any rules. It was the same message, with the same title, I'm also not spamming because I'm honestly looking for hunters' opinions of these boots.

I also believe that "I would look up individual reviews on each of those boots and make your decision from there" kind of negates the entire premise behind this forum....we're here for opinions. I'm not trying to be rude by any means, I'm just looking for opinions, I'm tired of reading Bass Pro and Cabela's reviews.

Last edited by MikesCustomLures; 03-02-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

The last part of rule #11 states "Only post your message into the topic it most relates too." That could not possibly be made any more clear

I'm aware that you did not realize that it was a rule, which is why I merely edited your posts instead of blocking you as a spammer. I could tell that you were looking for help, and not spamming the forum. Which is why you're still here.

Now, as to the rest of your post. You're asking a very, very specific question. There are probably very few people out there that have owned both the pronghorn and the alsea and have spent the necessary time in both boots and are able to give you a direct comparison of the two. And of the people out there who have worn both long enough to gauge the longevity between the two it's unlikely that you'll be lucky enough to find one on this forum. You may, but most likely not.

The best thing that you can do is Google reviews of each boot. That way you're getting SPECIFIC reviews for the SPECIFIC items that you are interested in. A quick Google search revealed more than just customer reviews on Bass pro and Cabela's. There are in depth reviews from places like hunttested, gear junkie, grandview outdoors, Scheels, and some others that would be worth your time to look at if you haven't already.

Like it or not, user reviews online are probably where you will get your best info. These are, after all, sportsman who purchased the product then took time to make a review on it. Some of the pages have 100+ reviews for each boot. That's allot of opinions, and a lot of info.

Good luck in your search.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 03-03-2019 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Ditto what Jake said about the rules. Unfortunately, it's kind of human nature for many people to join and quickly post what was so important to them (reason for joining). The checkbox about following the rules was simply that--a checkbox to be filled and the membership application entered. You should see some days before mods start moderating. A few members or spammers can post the same message in multiple topics and the top page of topics is quickly filled up with lots of duplicate topics. Regular members grumble about having to wade through so many duplicate topics and rightfully so. Imagine some realtor leaving a card or flier at your front door. Then that realtor leaves 5 more fliers to make sure you see at least one. The more realtors follow suit. Pretty soon your front doorway area looks like a garbage bear upended a garbage can on your front doorway. And that's the perception and effect HNI tries to avoid by having the above rule.

I used Danner Acadia boots for years as a duty boot. The Acadia is an awesome boot. The local cobbler was able to install new soles on the boots when they wore out after a few years (you do a lot of walking on concrete, etc. in Patrol. I haven't tried the Pronghorn but it looks like a brown version of the Acadia and I would expect similar results in longevity, etc. I did buy a pair of Danner Alsea boots a few years back for deer hunting. The very back end of the boot above the heel had a rough spot that I was not able to get rid of or make work. YMMV but I would check the boots out thoroughly before the end of any return policy if you buy a pair.

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-04-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Spike

Hi to all,
I must say that following rules and being from Calif. doesn't really go together(humor), and I don't think Danner are the boots they built their rep on. Garbage comes to mind when Danner is mentioned, just my .02
hhardrock
Old 03-04-2019, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

ive been hunting in the pronghorns for about 6 years for squirrel/deer season before it gets too cold....theyve been great for me, hold up well, very comfortable. Cant speak on the other danner you mentioned
Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would give Hi-Tec boots a look, they are less expensive than Danners and they are good boots. I have a pair of ankle high boots I have been wearing while hunting both big game and small game for 10 years. They are still in good condition, Ihave never gotten wet feet while wearing them and that includes crossing streams. They have great foot support as well. I have the attitude VI.

https://www.famousfootwear.com/hi-tec
Old 03-05-2019, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a more peace of mind wearing 17" high waterproof, snake proof boots.Though the waterproof membrane may last only one year. I can easily ford low-level streams or rivers, briar proof; and I also tuck the bottom of my pants inside the boots, to help prevent ticks or field mice from crawling up under my pants. And it helps prevent me from getting spurred by toms or jakes in the turkey woods, after I step on the head an neck of a downed bird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.