Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip? >

What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip?

Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default Deer hunting knife

I like something in a 4-5" size, some curve in the blade for skinning and easy to sharper. Many of the old Schrades, Western, Camillus, were perfect for this.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:36 AM
Spike

while cleaning a creature, for example, a rabbit or a deer, the seeker can get a handle on the edge of the skin and draw it far from the body while utilizing the tip of his cleaning blade to cut the thin layer that connects the skin to the muscle tissue.

You have to continue in this way to expel the skin from the body.

Be that as it may, while cleaning a creature with a firmly appended skin, for example, a non domesticated hoard or a Wild Boar, at that point the skin must be truly cut far from the cadaver since it is connected to the muscle tissue by a thick layer of coarse, intense, fat.

Subsequently, blades with either Drop Point or Clip Point sharp edge outlines are generally best to skin creatures with approximately joined stows away. This is on the grounds that frequently, just the tip of the sharp edge is utilized while cleaning these sorts of creatures.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Last 2 I bought have bright orange handles. After season bought a small one pointy one for anus.

I like folded for comfort sitting, like fixed for cleaning. Lots of good knives. Hess, Alaska, buck. I like locking which none of my case are.

last year used my 110 from my first deer. Maybe this year will use my grandpa's. For bear will bring my orange koa elk trekker. No special knife for bear though. Just what I feel like.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by younggun308
I've been quite pleased with my Old Timer Shapfinger for opening up the cavity; the steel really holds a great edge, which is a bonus if you've got to dress several deer in a single day. The only thing is its point is so, well, pointy that when you're trying to unzip the lower abdomen, you feel like you're running a high risk of puncturing the guts. I might retire it from deer duty and use it as a small game dressing knife.

Sharpfinger is the best hunting/skinning knife, in my opinion. Here is my custom Sharpfinger. It is the same size and profile as the original, but the scales are canvas micarta, and the blade is Z Wear, cryo'd to 63 RC. Mine also has jimping on the thumb rest.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 AM
Spike

I'm a big fan of Havalons when it comes to deer hunting.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by huntersgearguide
I'm a big fan of Havalons when it comes to deer hunting.
Or the Outdoor Edge Razorlite EDC... That one's nice when I'm working around bones and joints while quartering game. Plus, never have to sharpen the blade, just pop out the old blade and put in a new, razor sharp replacement.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Spike

Default Hunting knife

I am a bladesmith and I carry a high carbon hand-forged drop point skinner of my own make
It has a 4" blade and sharpens easily I also carry a small diamond stone to touch up the edge occasionally
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

the sharade woodsman , is a great value, you really will generally
have a very hard time finding anything that works as well for 3-5 times the price,
yes that old timer sharp finger is also a damn good value.
Ive used both and have a small preference for the first or upper knife pictured
https://outfitterwarehouse.com/prod...MIlszDzK744gIVA6rsCh1pTwnAEAQYAiABEgKEvfD_B wE

Last edited by hardcastonly; 07-17-2019 at 04:53 AM.