Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip? >

What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What hunting knife would you bring in a deer hunting trip?

Old 05-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Truly forged Tamahagane is without a doubt the absolute best steel one can have for a knife. The ancient Katana, and a very few new ones, was forged with Tamahagane with 2 carbon contents for an inner and outer layer. The inner creating the edge being higher carbon content for hardness to hold an edge better and the outer with less carbon for more flexibility and toughness to block blows. For a knife one would want the higher content for the blade since I doubt one will be blocking blows and such. It takes forever to get the edge formed by hand but once you have one on there you will have a blade that will hold an edge better than any knife you have had before if it was forged properly and is true Tamahange steel.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 40 year old Buck 110.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Bear Cutlery fix blade for skinning and quartering deer, hogs ,etc.
Made in Jacksonville Alabama many yrs ago - Relative inexpensive.
Has a gut hook and 1st 2" of blade is schraded.
Gut hook is handy.
That 1st 2" of blade helps notch and subsequently break legs bones easier.
Keep a fine chainsaw file with it to re-sharpen blade and/or gut hook if needed.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Truly forged Tamahagane is without a doubt the absolute best steel one can have for a knife. The ancient Katana, and a very few new ones, was forged with Tamahagane with 2 carbon contents for an inner and outer layer. The inner creating the edge being higher carbon content for hardness to hold an edge better and the outer with less carbon for more flexibility and toughness to block blows. For a knife one would want the higher content for the blade since I doubt one will be blocking blows and such. It takes forever to get the edge formed by hand but once you have one on there you will have a blade that will hold an edge better than any knife you have had before if it was forged properly and is true Tamahange steel.
I'm not a huge fan of the super steels. In my experience the edge retention is never good enough to justify how hard they are to sharpen.

I find 1095 to be about perfect...holds and edge good but is also real easy to sharpen.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is one for the Green River guys. I'm working on another one with micarta handles now as well.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Spike

you can find out more on ebay. I think this price is expensive
Old 12-04-2017, 04:16 AM
Spike

I used to carry a Spyderco knife. It's a good otf knife.

Last edited by John_1979; 03-05-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A sharp one is the correct answer. I prefer a fixed blade as opposed to a folder due to ease of cleaning. My Boker Arbolito is my favorite knife. Not sure which model. Holds an edge better than most.

Agree that good butchering knives are more important than a knife for field dressing.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been quite pleased with my Old Timer Shapfinger for opening up the cavity; the steel really holds a great edge, which is a bonus if you've got to dress several deer in a single day. The only thing is its point is so, well, pointy that when you're trying to unzip the lower abdomen, you feel like you're running a high risk of puncturing the guts. I might retire it from deer duty and use it as a small game dressing knife.

A small hand saw is a must to me, to get through the sternum and split the hip.

I just picked up an SOG Field Pup on Black Friday for $13.90 (really only $3.90 after the free $10 gift card for waiting in line---not bad considering Cabela's usually charged $39.00). I'm thinking I'll have more peace of mind when getting to the gut area, since the point isn't curved like on the Old Timer.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Spike

Buck Knives 141

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.