Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Ground Blind Trash

Old 02-22-2016, 11:32 AM
Spike

Default Ground Blind Trash

I have had the worse luck when it comes to ground blinds. No matter the price.

Has anyone had any luck with repairing torn, broken, or damaged blinds? I've always used Primos blinds but they usually last a couple of years before they disintegrate. As others have said, I can send it to Primos for repairs but the cost of shipping an handling, both ways, is outrageous! I'd buy a Primos Doublebull but I don't have $400 sitting around and find the same problem! I've stitched up torn seams myself with a heavier synthetic thread and reinforced different parts.

Has anyone "modified" a ground blind to cut down on the possibility of failure? I'd love to replace the standard zipper with something more heavy duty but am unsure where to get something like that done.

Any ideas?

HParks
Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you have a shoe maker or an Amish harness maker around your area you may try them, they do zipper replacement etc in the area I live. They have sewing machines heavy enough to sew heavy canvas or heavy material.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Canvas repair shops and ones that make custom canvas boat covers and such can and will do it. Same if you top on the CJ gets damaged.
Many auto upholstery shops will do custom work too.
Tent and awning rental shops will some times do so if it is fairly simple.

Al
Old 02-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ground Blind

There should be weaknesses with ground blinds. What do you expect for less than $200. And no matter what you pay, a ground blind isn't going to last staying out for a season or seasons.

A hint I once got is to put up the ground blind in your backyard. Study how its done. Study the weak points. See how you would repair the blind. Find places that can substitute parts. Such as driveway barriers.

Once ripped open a rubber boot. Used shoegoo and its still sealed a year later.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Also if your going to leave a ground blind set up for a couple weeks or more at a time..
Get rid of those stupid stakes they come with.

Get ten inch pole barn spikes. Will hold better than that wire crap they come with don't break like plastic and you can use a crow bar to pull them out of frozen ground.

Al
Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

I've had my blind for around 5 years and it just has a few rips in it. All of my own doing from misjudging arrow height ughh. but I don't leave it out in the elements either. Maybe a week at the most since I hunt public ground. My suggestion would be if you are going to be leaving a blind out for a season or longer then make one out of either natural cover or a box blind.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Spike

My thought on it are spend less then $200 on a pop up blind, hopefully it will last 2-3 seasons of hard hunting and when it breaks, tears or leaks go buy another one..

I stay away from the $400 models and don't find much difference in a $200 vs a $400 blind anyways
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 AM
Typical Buck

O.K Guys I am going to give away my secret blind plan---because of back surgery I hunt ground more than I have before--I hate pop up blinds seems so confined-- I now buy used unwanted older imitation xmas trees, 7 footers or more, I pound in steel poles in a circle about 8 feet diameter, put tree against pole in tie in with zip ties, put a swivel chair In middle yer done---I also bend branches to create shooting holes for lanes--I have had deer bed inside the trees on nasty days, partridge squirrels etc also, I shot a 7 point buck 1 foot from outside edge of the trees 3 years ago does not take too long for them to get used to the trees Now you all owe me big time H H
Old 03-26-2016, 04:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watch for after season sales. I have seen doghouse blinds sell at Menards for $25, this is the regular 5 foot diameter ones that two people can fit into, but a bit snug with two. I keep the old blinds for spare parts. At $25 it does not have to last forever.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
O.K Guys I am going to give away my secret blind plan---because of back surgery I hunt ground more than I have before--I hate pop up blinds seems so confined-- I now buy used unwanted older imitation xmas trees, 7 footers or more, I pound in steel poles in a circle about 8 feet diameter, put tree against pole in tie in with zip ties, put a swivel chair In middle yer done---I also bend branches to create shooting holes for lanes--I have had deer bed inside the trees on nasty days, partridge squirrels etc also, I shot a 7 point buck 1 foot from outside edge of the trees 3 years ago does not take too long for them to get used to the trees Now you all owe me big time H H
That's actually pretty neat idea and something I was thinking about not a few weeks back. Out in the woods and came across piles of Xmas trees dumped on the road I take to hunt in.