Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Knife question

Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Spike

Default Knife question

I'm very new to hunting but will be shooting and processing a few wild pigs soon. I'm looking for 1-2 knives, fixed blade, durable, easy to sharpen, easy to use. My plan is to field dress. Then skin, quarter, joint at home.

Can I do all of this with 1 knife? Any recommendations for knife and sharpening tool?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Knife

It is very do able with 1 knife I use a buck knife of Alaska with the serrated blade and gut hook just my personal choice. I also keep a little shapener in my bag. It's a smiths I think it small yellow and cost like 3 bucks but it brings the edge back quick. I've skinned and quartered several hogs at a time and had no issues. Good luck
Old 07-19-2015, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Recommend a Case Sharks tooth. Not too big, takes and holds a good edge better than Buck knives and only 5" long closed and 8" open. Comes with good belt sheath. Not a fixed blade but I have been using one for over 20 years. I can't begin to tell you how many deer breast bones I have cut through with it. Lifetime guarente.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend a knife with a non slip grip on it. While those Case Sharks are great blades, they get slickern snot when bloody. Oldtimr and I grew up in an era way before non slip grips and learned the hard way (at least I did) about knife work. Gerber makes some fixed blades with excellent non slip grips and Gerber blades are hard to beat for holding an edge. I have an ancient Baron fixed with a Solingen German blade that has seen countless Big and Small game that hasn't left my side for 45 years. But that bone handle is slick as can be when gutting. Gotta hold ya mouth right
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bunch of knives and if I had to pick one to do it all I would probably pick the green river hunter.....and it cost about $20

I personally carry a outdoor edge sling blade to do the field work on deer and use green river knives for the butchering.

Before I got the green river knives I used forschner and Dexter Russell knives for the butchering.

When I'm not hunting deer I carry a mora in the field.

Last edited by rockport; 07-19-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't need much to process a deer. I skin the deer with a drop point fixed blade, the same one I field dress it with. I quarter and butcher the entire deer with a long bladed fillet knife. I might use a hatchet to chop through bone if necessary. Get a knife steel and learn to use it. Giving your blade a few licks after each quarter will keep you moving along.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do a lot of butchering of wild and domesticated animals as well as camp about 2/3 of the weekends over the summer and this is a lot of the knives I use minus the ones I have left in my camper. Which is fillet knives,a few duplicates, and several moras.

If any of them interest you let me know and I'll tell you about them. The green river knives are the 3 on the left in the middle row. I use those alot.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rock, who makes those top row left 3? I like the shape of those blades.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Rock, who makes those top row left 3? I like the shape of those blades.
The first one is a custom hand forged in Missouri..I'll send you the link if you want. The knives have a rough finish but are priced right and great users.

The 2nd is a Canadian belt knife design..made by R. Murphy in Connecticut years ago and somebody on ebay is unloading new old stock for very good prices. GROHMANN out of canada is the big maker of this style and they have some quality stainless blades in this design(mine is 1095 carbon)

The 3rd is just an Ontario(old hickory) that I modified myself. I was still working on it but discover the green river knives which are better knives and come in the same shapes so I switched over to those. The Ontario knife comes looking exactly the same as the 2nd knife in the 3rd row looked before I modified it. It is a green river skinning knife that I finished modifying.

This is what the Ontario looked like originally
http://productimages.knife-depot.com/c3/5_64740.jpg

This is what the green river looked like originally
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21BcBEZfgKL.jpg

Last edited by rockport; 07-20-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a better picture of that style

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.