Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Knife question

Old 07-20-2015, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah send that link if you don't mind. I like carbon myself for knives. Stainless just doesn't seem to hold an edge as well. It's fine for my belt knives and such but my butchering knives I like carbon. Pain in the but having to "steel" them every few minutes.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yeah send that link if you don't mind. I like carbon myself for knives. Stainless just doesn't seem to hold an edge as well. It's fine for my belt knives and such but my butchering knives I like carbon. Pain in the but having to "steel" them every few minutes.
I just can't let go of that china made stainless sling blade. It ends up being the knife in my pack every year. Its just an awesome whitetail knife no matter how much I like my higher quality carbon stuff.

The gutting blade is just great and I leave it right in my pack through all conditions with no problems. The aus8 steel is not terrible on that particular knife but in general I agree with you. I also have them stainless dexters and forschners that stay in the kitchen and go through the dishwasher and or soak in soapy water and I love them to for their purpose but yeah when it comes down to the actual hard work its always carbon for me and usually the green river knives.

I admit though when its general small kitchen use I usually just grab a stainless dexter or forschner use it and throw it in the dishwasher.

For the price of the green river you have to try one. Less than $20 to your door on ebay.

Last edited by rockport; 07-21-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just got this one in the mail this morning.

Ka-bar bk-15

Stripped the terrible coating off and put some micarta scales on

Gonna be a good one I think

Old 07-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, that will be a good one for skinning and splitting the breast bone.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

My go to over the years has been a Schrade Old Timer with the green rubber handle. It's one of the last series of knives Schrade made before they got bought out and started importing chinese junk.

Its been with me almost as long as I've been hunting. Hopefully, it'll be with me for a lot longer yet. I think you can still find a few good used ones at gun/knife shows, but I see less and less of them every year.
Attached Thumbnails Knife question-schrade.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
Just got this one in the mail this morning.

Ka-bar bk-15

Stripped the terrible coating off and put some micarta scales on

Gonna be a good one I think

Big Becker fan myself. Nice knife.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Big Becker fan myself. Nice knife.
Best knife you can get