Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Heater body suit.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Spike

I love my HBS as mentioned dress light if you have to walk very far and then slip it on after you get on stand. I hate hunting if I'm cold but love hunting in the cold now. I only wish I had purchased it years ago.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Flatliner2506
You will NOT regret your purchase!
Practice getting in and out plenty of times on the ground first!
The "I dress in layers" guys have never used a HBS.
Well, nope I haven't used one. Never needed one since I know how to dress myself. I keep the sleeping bags in camp where they belong. It's not all about layers but what those layers are MADE of that counts. Technology today has seriously advanced in thermal wear. When I first started out, you know back in the dark ages , I used a silk/cotton blend thermal "long Johns", long sleeved not too tight but not too loose under shirt, 100% cotton "Long Johns" pants, Jeans, Flannel shirt, wool P-Coat and if it was really cold, like below zero, a pair of wool over pants over my jeans. Never really got cold wearing that and this was on hunts in Canada and Alaska so yes that's TESTING.

Nowadays I use that latest stuff from Under-Armour and my Bib's. Being in the "older" class I tend to get cold a heck of a lot easier than I did back when I was young but this new stuff keeps me well within toleration. My old stuff probably still would as well. I don't see spending 400+ on a dang sleeping bag with legs sewn in.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 PM
Banned

No offense either but i have lacrosse boots and underarmour. ... You'll stay warm...
Old 09-25-2015, 01:37 PM
Spike

It's interesting how many people on this thread seem to swear by the body suit. I can't seem to get over carrying additional stuff with me into the woods. And also don't like the fact of having my arms restricted (or having to get them out) when that hoofed animal arrives!

I'm like super_hunt54 - dressing in base layers made out of the right material seems to get the job done (at least in the northwoods of Wisconsin!). I prefer a merino wool base layer like this. Otherwise, if you like the Carol Davis Sportswear style, look at the union suit long johns.

Outersports.com has other thermals too (merino wool, polypropylene, and cotton - although cotton is probably not a great option for hunting).

Last edited by enigmarm; 09-25-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Cotton kills."

Merino wool, poly-fleece, polypropylene/under armour, and down.

Wind-proof outer layers are key as well. Bibs are the greatest invention for retaining body heat.

Layering done incorrectly - i.e. wearing 5-8 layers - is idiotic misunderstanding of the term. A base layer, a vest, light jacket, and parka on top will keep me warm in any weather (not just here in KS).

I've taken camo down comforters, sleeping bags, and other blankets into the stand a few times over the years. I have mixed feelings at best, but tend to lean way from it. I've found that putting a skirt or full enclosure around my tree stands will help me stay warm far better in the cold wind than anything else. On the ground, in the most extreme cold, I'll use a Mr. Heater Lil'Buddy bottle heater.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Flatliner2506
You will NOT regret your purchase!
Practice getting in and out plenty of times on the ground first!
The "I dress in layers" guys have never used a HBS.
True. For stand hunting, an HBS cannot be beat. The "dress in layers" is for those of us who still hunt and may need to adjust to mid-day temps or other rapid weather developments.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:50 AM
Spike

I have a heater body suit. It can be really helpful sometimes, when it's specially cold!