HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   Heater body suit. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/396350-heater-body-suit.html)

brownhaired monarch 12-11-2014 05:25 PM

Heater body suit.

Anyone ever use a heater body suit.
what are your thoughts about the
Heater body suit.
Thanks

Sheridan 12-11-2014 05:37 PM

It's a "custom" fit sleeping bag IMO - LOL Sorry !

Topgun 3006 12-12-2014 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 4174828)
It's a "custom" fit sleeping bag IMO - LOL Sorry !

That really is pretty much what it is and it pops open easily when you want to leave your stand or shoot!

flags 12-12-2014 08:18 AM

I'll stick with my wool stuff worn in layers.

brownhaired monarch 12-15-2014 09:29 PM

Is there anyone that has actually
used the heater body suit. Thanks.

flags 12-16-2014 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by brownhaired monarch (Post 4175550)

I think you have your answer since nobody has said they do.

Topgun 3006 12-16-2014 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by brownhaired monarch (Post 4175550)

Yep, Jim Shockey says he trusts his life to it!!!

HatchieLuvr 12-16-2014 09:30 PM

I'm in TN so our winters are rarely below zero, heck anything below 10-15degs is COOOOLD & when we do get such temps they rarely last more than a day or two. But on those rare occasions we get much below 15-20degs, I have something that's kinda like a "3/4 length" heater suit. I've had it for years & rarely use it but when I DO use it, it works quite well. I cant even remember what it's called but essentially it's a thick, heavily insulated, mossy oak camo, goretex "chest length sleeping bag". It zips all the way down the front for getting into, once you climb in it you zip it up & it also has shoulder straps to keep it up around your waist while seated. It makes a big difference! I let my kids use it when they were smaller & didn't have as good of cold weather gear as they do now that they are big enough to wear mine.

As I understand the heater suits are so thick/warm you don't have to wear your regular thickest/outer layer like a wool or down parkas while on stand? IMHO that WOULD be nice as I usually don't put my parka/coat on until I get into the stand & actually sit a few minutes to "cool off" after the walk in. Just a set of thermals, my beloved chamois shirt & regular weight hunting pants plus a heater suit would be nice to have on once in the stand.

My best friend & hunting buddy lives here in TN but he's the Exc. VP of a giant steel company based in Can & he travels up there at least 2-3x a month. I keep telling him we MUST get a Canadian deer hunt planned before we're to old for the weather. You CAN BET I'll have a heater suit or something similar for an all day sit in the woods in those frigid temps! :s12:

Sitting 2-3 hours on stand in frigid temps is one thing but sitting there 4-6hrs or even all day is another thing all together!

Valentine 12-17-2014 06:45 AM

"Can you turn the thing off"

I had a recent winter day where it went up nearly forty
degrees in less than seven hours.
Sometimes you need warmth; sometimes you don't.
And sometimes you need to adapt to changes.

redmag 12-17-2014 02:47 PM

I have one and I get cold easily. I do believe it helps some because you are tucked into a sleeping bag that slips off your shoulders easily for shot opportunities. However, I have found it warmer to use the heavy weight Minus33 stuff with a fleece layer and on top that a pair of one piece coveralls with windbreak.