Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting Boots?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
i just started wearing mucks last year and i really like them

Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Spike

ive got a pair of the muck arctic sports.comfortable boot,but your feet will still get damp from sweat in any rubber boot.if its colder than 30 or 31 degrees,my feet start to get chilled in these boots.i got a set of the arctic shield boot covers to go over my boots and now i can sit for hours in the low teens.they fold up and fit in a coat pocket and i NEVER have to worry about cold feet running me out of the tree.a chemical handwarmer tossed in the boot covers makes it even better.check ebay for the arctic sports,thats about as cheap as you will find em.they are the same boot as the woody max,just black in color.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

well..i got some lacross knee high snake bite boots..at first i gave em a bad review cause they were stiff as all get out..but after bearing with them, cause i had too, cause i told my wife they were the best lol....they seemed to have loosened up a bit and are more comfortable then they used to be. if i bought a new pair, i wouldnt get lacross. and i need the snake boot, especially october in texas.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I am sitting I wear Schnee pack boots on stand. If I am walking a little and sitting or really wet I wear Muck boot. If I am on the move I wear leather lace up boots such as Danner, etc.

So it depends on your usage.

Socks are an important part of the equation as well: polyproplene sock liners and merino wool socks are a must if your hunting in cool temps. Also if your sitting for long periods unlace your boots and make sure you buy boots with lots of wiggle room in the toes.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Spike

Muck !!!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Spike

If I am sitting I wear Schnee pack boots on stand. If I am walking a little and sitting or really wet I wear Muck boot. If I am on the move I wear leather lace up boots such as Danner, etc.

So it depends on your usage.
agreed. For midwestern whitetail hunting, I've actually had very good luck with cabela's brand boots, warm and cold. In the warmer months I used to use the rubber comfort track boots, they are surprisingly tough and very comfortable. When I was guiding whitetail hunts in Illinois I had one pair last 4 seasons of pretty rough, EVERYDAY use. And that includes hanging/moving 60-75 stands a season which is hard on a boot. For the colder hunts I bought a pair of Cabelas Predator Extreme Pac Boots. These things are great, I stand hunt exclusively and my feet never get cold with the proper socks. they are a little bulky but you get used to it and it leaves a lot of room inside so your toes stay warm. There are pockets to put chemical warmers in the toe area too, but I've never needed to use them. It took me years to break down and buy these...that was dumb, they are worth the money for sure!

Last edited by huntertim214; 09-08-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had good luck with Irish Setter Big Game GTX w 800 gr thinsulate. Unfortunately, they don't make them anymore, but I'm sure they have something equivalent. The Shadow Trek may be similiar.

I bought some Danner Pronghorns (400 gr thinsulate) last year for a bridge between the Irish setters and snake boots, and they are very comfortable, but they leaked right out of the box. Several applications of waterproofing seem to have stopped that, but we will see this next season.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 09-09-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting boots in cold weather?

Insulated and definitely has rubber on the bottom of the boots.

Sitting in the cold for awhile always makes the feet get over 10 degrees colder. It's not the walking; its the sitting on a stand that becomes unbearable with regular leather boots.

Incidentally, I still have an "heirloom" pair of Kaufman Sorel boots. that are wearable.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Baffin boots, the right pair rated up to -200 degrees.....'nuff said